shiva asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 decade ago

Are online friendships a joke?

Has any one really made great, long lasting, friendships online

Favorite Answer

Not really - if they fulfill an emotional need then no.

They're probably not as binding as a 'conventional' friendship, but they serve a purpose. I'm an industrial firefighter, and I do shifts on weekends, and nights, and don't get a great deal of time to socialise. I live alone, and my dog really doesn't have much to talk about, most of the time. Online, when everyone else is at work, or asleep, I can always find someone, from somewhere, to talk to.

No, I've made a very close friendship with someone I met online. We met online and now write to each other by postal mail as pen pals. She is like a sister to me, and we help each other out with third-party advice a lot. It's certainly not a joke for us, although you really do have to be careful with online relationships.

Yes actually i met my husband online thru a online pastor and we have knew each other four years now and been married a year and have a 2 year old son so online friendships can work out . Try a christian dating site or yahoo singles but be real careful who you talk to there are some weridos out there

some i'd say are especially resembling my "actual life" friendships. Others no longer. those that i'd deliberate to be extra "valid" have been long-term friendships (3-8 years) the place we've been there for the different with the aid of distinctive sturdy cases and undesirable. Like a "actual-life" friendship we've shared the highs and lows of life with one yet another, and offered emotional help whilst necessary.

• Kaia

Yep. I'm great friends with a woman I met in a writers chat room over 10 years ago...we've stayed in e-contact, and managed to meet twice. It's rare but it happens.

You have to be very careful meeting people online. People aren't always who they say they are. However, if you do meet someone worthwhile online, sometimes it can lead to a great relationship. One of my friends met her fiance online!

• Simmy

Not really, I have made one or two desent friendships. But we still don't know each other.

since yesterday i've met people from two different countries online, I hope they are lasting friendships!!!!!!!!!!!

it really depends.... on how you handle your friendship young lady... if you considered as friendship ... then no need for you to have doubt.... right????? having a doubt means you dont trust anybody....

yeah sort of i think there great if u dont really have a lot of friends