Have you tried to sell your house without an estate agent or realtor?

I have an Edwardian townhouse in Llandudno near the prom. I want to sell it for about £250,000. Should I engage an estate agent, or try to sell it on my own.

Favorite Answer

If you want it sold RIGHT NOW or soon, then get an Realtor.

If time isn't an issue, sell it yourself, but be prepared to spend a lot of time selling it. It might sell quickly for you, but be ready to lose the time just in case.

A Realtor can show it whenever they want, as long as you don't live in it, and you'll have to work around your schedule.

A Realtor will charge you a % of sale price for his time and effort, PLUS charge the buyer a finding fee. If you sell it yourself, you'll get to keep the money, minus the payoff of course. And no, you won't get a finders fee from the buyer.

Be sure interior looks 'fresh and clean', including any window treatments (curtains) you plan to leave. Make sure all the dust bunnies are captured, even those that may have moved to the walls and ceilings. Fresh paint helps. Shiny floors a big plus, a fresh coat of wax is fairly quick and painless. Clean carpets. See to all the little details that you would normally skip if you were living there.

We just bought a house and it was very nice when we moved in and that's one thing that helped seal the deal. I didn't have to move in and clean it right off the bat.

When we sold our other house, we painted everything inside, I even painted the foundation, porch and steps, even the hand rails. By the time we were done, I was almost tempted to keep it.

you can sell it on your own but i would still have a lawyer

to help you with some of the legal parts of the purchase

agreement and on closing day to make sure all the right

documents get signed correctly.