Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

what is the therapy for extreme low self esteem when you feel so bad about yourself?

like you dont value your worth at all, and your always picking yourself apart

• Snuz
    Favorite Answer

There certainly is a certain kind of therapy for your problem. If you want to look for a good therapist; find one that specializes in Cognitive Therapy. What you are experiencing are all cognitive distortions....the way you think and feel is interrupting your moods. It's all about the way you are thinking. Forget about looking in the mirror and saying "I love you" blah blah blah... if you really want to work things out you need to fix the way you think, feel and perceive things around you AND about yourself. A cognitive therapist will help you.

Source(s): Psychology major...impending master's in Psychology
  • Catt

Self Esteem stems from an internal source, your mental and emotional state.

When it comes to problems of this nature you must try to locate the source or origin, like where did this come from and when did it begin. Once you do this you might identify that, (it usually does) it began with another person in your life telling you that you are no good or that your worthless, and so forth. This may and usually occurs right in the home that you were brought up into, even by your own parents !

Honestly seeking, most people will discover that these things are lies, and you must not believe these lies, for if you do they will surely drag you into a pit, exactly what they were meant to do.

Source(s): Physcology 101...........
  • Frank

OK, I am a physician. Pay close attention. Go to a mirror and kiss yourself and look in your eyes and believe you are a very valuable person....give yourself a hug...you are special...there is no one on earth just like you. You can do anything, you can be anything you want. God knows I am not handsome, but I have many, many people that respect me...not for the outside but what is inside....you have a lot inside you that you haven't shown the world. Then tomorrow you need to do something you really like...paint a picture...play computer games...cook, run or anything that pleases you and you will have accomplished a small step....but don't stop there...day by day...build yourself...there are people to help and people that care.

First of all it is important to find out why you feel the way you do. It could be depression, it could involve a physical state, such as having inadequate levels of thyroid in your system. It could also be due to having a history of abuse and experiencing post-traumatic stress disorder. There are many things that could effect a person's self-esteem. Please get a physical and mental health evaluation. Your primary care provider would be a good start. A mental health care provider can evaluate you and then recommend type and expected duration of treatment for you. I hope you feel better.

They say that cognitive-behavioral therapy can be helpful with this. I have been seeing a counselor weekly,& we have been doing this. I still have rough times, but I am glad that I have people that I can talk to. I also see my psychiatrist monthly, as well as other support type groups regularly. I understand what you mean--as well as the depression & PTSD, I struggle with low self esteem. I am very self-critical, & it really frustrates me.

Perhaps by talking to others who have found a way to overcome their particular problem. This has turned out to be rather successful venture, in a group I started almost 2 years ago. Online.

you know there's no real therapy..its all up to you..maybe do positive things to make yourself feel better,,,if its physical..maybe try a makeover to jumpstart,but you can't just change how you feel overnight.try a counsellor or docotr,there could be programs in your region to help,meetings...try a new interest,but dont give up.

FIRST OF ALL YOUR HEALTH SOULD BE O.K.WHEN YOU GET UP IN MORNING SAY YOURSELF THATTODAY I WILL NOT LOOSE THE DAY INSTEAD WILL DO SOME THING WHICH GIVES HAPPINESS TO OTHERS AND THEN TRY TO ACHIEVE THAT.

ALSO DO REGULARLY PRANAYAM EXERCISES. HAVE COMPLETE FAITH IN GOD,WHO WILLCURE YOU COMPLETELY IF YOU DO NOT NEGLECT YOURSELFAND POSSESS STRONG WILL.

i am also depressed and on meds to help me. you just need to see that you are a good person and have special things about yourself

Do your Best..Say a prayer,

let go and

let God take it from there.

Source(s): not sure who wrote it.