Does anybody have any ideas for topics to write about for a how-to essay?

For writing class, I have to write a how-to essay. But I don't have a topic to write about. One example the teacher gave us was making pottery.

• Favorite Answer

First of all, you have my sympathies. I'm convinced that how-to essays are the worst, most boring essays you can write. However, I think I can help you because I've written a few in my day, and last semester I had to give a how-to speech.

If you can aviod boring yourself, and anyone who has to read it, then you will do very well.

I would suggest picking a unique topic, or something very useful that people would actually want to know how to do.

For example, if you wrote your how-to essay on how to fly fish. I imagine it would suck for you, and everyone who had to read it.

You should write about something that interests you. I don't know your interest but if you're girly, you could write about how to do turn heads when you walk through the mall, or how to lose a guy in ten days. If that doesn't sound good to you, you should write an essay on how to make something yummy, and then turn in it with samples and butter up the teacher. ;-)

You could write a how-to essay on "How to choose a subject for a how-to essay".

Basically you write how to: come up with ideas, evaluate them, research the info required, and make a choice.

I would also discuss in the choice selection the usefulness of such a topic, as this one can be used by future students in deciding what to write about.

When I taught speech classes and we did "demonstration" speeches and the students were at a loss for what to do; I suggested they decide what it is they like to do! Make pizzas on a weekend, do a particular type of dance, apply make up professionally, use touch control typing method, etc. If you attempt something you know and enjoy, teaching others how to do it becomes second nature!!! Also if you demonstrate any cooking recipes you just bring the finished product and share with your audience...........everyone loves to eat!!!

What's your favourite thing to do? If you write about something familiar, it will be easier. Also, it can be something off beat.

You could write about How to make your friend smile, or how to get ready for school in the morning.

It doesn't have to be something that's normally thought of in steps.

What about How to use Yahoo answers!?

How to raise a baby calf.

How to build a fence.

How to buld a bird house.

How to punch a punching bag without hurting your hands.

How to cut a dog's toenails.

How to care for a pet bird.

How to install ceramic tile on a floor.

How to sharpen a pair of scissors.

How to clean a cat box.

How to balance a checkbook.

How to change a tire.

You'll enjoy the essay writing more it you're telling people how to do something YOU like to do. What's your favorite sport or hobby? Can you articulate to others HOW TO?

Good luck

Pick something you are really good at, something you really love.

You are instinctively better at something you enjoy.

Like, if you're a great swimmer, you can do a "How to be the Best Swimmer you can be" essay.

Whatever it is you like, be sure to have a lot of recommendations and references to this thing you really enjoy to ensure a good grade.

Write about how to make a Caesar salad.. It's a pain in the @$$ actually, and should take up alot of paper..