Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

what would have happened in the 20th century had the South won in the War of Secession?

how would the world be like now had there been 2 derivatives of the United States?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Had the south won the Civil War, the North would have remained a union, while the south would probably have splintered into seperate countries. Slavery was on it's way out in the south by the late 1850's, and would have been abolished when the US placed sanctions on trade with slave owning countries. The southern countries would have been relatively poor and volnerable to attack by other countries and eventually would have reestablished themselves as part of the US.

• 1 decade ago

Check out www.csathemovie.com. CSA: Confederate States of America. Its a satirical, spoof documentary about the South winning the War.

You might also like to read Harry Turtledove's alternative history series on this subject.

Alternate History — The South have won the American Civil War, what would then happen over the next century. (The series consists of several smaller series and has no official title)

How Few Remain (1997)

The Great War Trilogy

American Front (1998)

Walk in Hell (1999)

Breakthroughs (2000)

The American Empire Trilogy

Blood and Iron (2001)

The Center Cannot Hold (2002)

The Victorious Opposition (2003)

The Settling Accounts Tetralogy

Return Engagement (2004)

Drive to the East (2005)

The Grapple (2006)

In at the Death (expected in 2007)

• 1 decade ago

i see that there some smart answers here but we are leaving out the gross product of the south at the time depending on when the war ended the south had been destroyed by the war in 1865 if they had won then it would have been hard for both sides the US and CS to carry on without the other the north didn't have any raw goods at the time except for imports from europe and canada. but the effects on the 20th century would have been awful not because of slaves but with out the south the US would have not been able to take a seat at the "world powers" table and WWII would have been different and maybe a big german country because with out the US the UK would have been invaded in about 3 more years then Nazi germany ruling europe and Japan ruling Asia maybe North America too

• 1 decade ago

Well, I can think of one thing...the Mexicans would not be illegally crossing the border to work in the fields.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John16
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Well I wouldn't want to be Black, that's for sure. Unless I lived in the North.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Go with William's answer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.