Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How come the word gringo isn't censored on Yahoo Answers?

It's like there is no possible way that white people can be discriminated against.

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

misconception! Gringo means: A Latin American (disparaging) term for foreigners (especially Americans and Englishmen)!! gotta so no need to censor this word chum!

• 1 decade ago

If you feel discriminated by the word gringo, start a lobby and play it all the way up the House and Senate to have this word censored. But I assure you gringo doesn't come as near in feeling or expression of humilation as w3tback, sp1c, sp1gger or ******. It also doesn't refer to a genital or any act by, with or through genitals.

The word gringo is an alteration of Greek and it also means stranger. Sort of like aliens from across the border, not the ones from outtaspace - like myself!

• 1 decade ago

The word "gringo" is not particularly bad in itself... Well, I guess it depends on where you are from, but in my experience it is how it is used what gives it a derogatory character, and an awful lot of times you hear coversations about "los gringos" in a pretty positive note. Also, it refers to every US American, not just white ones.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Don't you know that white people,or Caucasians, are quickly becoming the minority in the US? Maybe we will be able to file some discrimination law suits and get all the free government help that all the other minorities are receiving now. I think this is reverse discrimination. We would be stoned if we called someone of a minority race a slang name.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

i'm white and it's the nickname i chose so.... if your thinking i'm trying to put somebody down there is actually no discrimination going on. it's not like i'm saying i hate all (insert racial group/culture here). don't be so uptight i mean damn. FYI, in Spain most americans are referred to as that when the spaniards are talking about you anyway. It's not necessarily a derrogatory term, just a term. why do people want to make everything a big deal about being p.c.? if your not trying to harm someone emotionally or physically whats the issue anyway? relax a little bit

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The word gringo means white in spanish and I dont think its racist to say the word white

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because the word can be interpreted in different ways, there are plenty of words out there that are insulting depending on use and context. The yahoo censorship gods won't do anything unless some blankety bleep bleep @#$%& reports it. But you already know that........don't you?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You hit the nail right on the head there, dear! It's called The Double Standard.

Definition:

gringo

n : a Latin American (disparaging) term for foreigners (especially Americans and Englishmen)

Huh...imagine that.

• 1 decade ago

.Probably because most people do not consider it a derogatory word.

I am one of those white people, but if I am called a gringo it simply doesn't bother me at all.

But then I like to think the best of most people.

Source(s): Chihuahua breeder
  • Grist
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Those two sentences don't match. Or did you think gringo meant master?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.