Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is this normal?

My 3 years old daughter touches her genitals sometimes rubs on others and does stroking signs and all......... please advice is this normal or anything serious

Favorite Answer

it's normal as she's exploring and learning about her body. tell her she should only do that when she's alone and she should never touch anyone else's *private places*. you may want to keep an eye on her though, just to be sure she isn't doing anything too *mature* for her age. check at bath time to make sure she isn't red and sore. if she is, ask her if anyone touched her there. kids that age are pretty honest. if everything seems ok, don't worry about it. most kids touch themselves at young ages.

I think she is trying to make sense of her little world. It's about that age when kids potty train = no more diaper, one more thing to learn about. It feels good to her and she doesn't understand why that would be bad, because I'm sure (as all kids do) she has learned the hard way on a lot of things that "bad" hurts or otherwise does not feel good.

If you're afraid something has happened to her (sad that some people can actually do something like that) take her to her pediatrician and either tell her what is going on (the Dr. will probably be familiar with this) or maybe that you think she may have a rash, so either way the Dr. can tell you if something is wrong. But lived and learned, if you take a little girl in openly assuming abuse of that kind, police will be a pain in the neck. If the Dr. finds anything disturbing (trauma to her hymen) then police. But if not and she is just curious to learn about the new things in her world, you will not have had to suffer the un-necessary drama and accusations that arise when something like this is concerned........It's like the witch trials.

Source(s): I hope everything goes well with your baby. I don't think you should worry about THAT, but talk with the pediatrician, that would be best.

She is a normal little girl that has found something below and she keeps playing with it as it is some thing new to her.It is a stage they go through and they will grow out it soon all I do is say leave it alone they do in time. The boys do it also when they are young and they stretch and pull at it their penis too as they found something new down below. So don't feel embarassed about it is allright.

I do believe this can be normal, depending on what she sees on TV or (not rudely) at home or curious. At the same time, kids act out things that have been done to them. If this is a girl and she is touching guys, seek help please. Where does she go? Who is she around. Sorry statitiics pick those closest that molest and rape. I don't want to scare you baby, I just want you to be warned that's all.

They go thru stages of discovering body parts and checking it out. But, she does sound a little old for that unless she has some other problems. I would take her to the Dr. for a check up and ask them about this and milestones. TJ's right about that molestation, but the dr. can tell sometimes. It's so sad, but hopefully not.

anyone telling you this isn't normal should shut their mouths...at around 3 or 4 kids start to explore their genitals and ITS TOTALLY NORMAL --- my son is 3 and a half and always has his hands in his pants...we tell him not to keep his hands down there all the time but we don't make it sound negative so he doesn't grow up thinking he's "dirty"

• Lady J

I think it's normal that she touches herself, but stroking on others, I'm not sure about. Has someone touched her or made her touch them?

• caz_v8

This is definitely normal. Don't make her embarrased when you notice she is doing this. What I do with my two girls is say, "If you like to do that to yourself then the best place is in your own room...ok" They are 3 and 5. Making a point of it just brings it to their attention..so sometimes just ignoring it is best..unless of course, if you are in public.

Source(s): HAve 4 kids under 9yrs of age

Touching herself is normal. This is how toddlers discover their own bodies.

Rubbing against other... hmmmm..

I would be concerned, just because there are so many pedophiles out there. For your own peace of mind, please take her to the doctor to make sure that she has not been molested.

it is normall my 1and a half daughter does the same thing