Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 1 decade ago

Does anyone have episodes of "Paroxysmal atrail tachycardia"? and if you do, how do you deal with it?

5 Answers

  • hello
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    I am on beta blockers! And during an attack. I stick my face in cold water or do vagal manuevers if I can't get it under control by meditation.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    I don't but I was a certified cardiology tech and I can give you tips.

    First of all do not do this until you have spoken to your doctor first.

    1) A deep hard Cough can sometimes break the PAT

    2) Put your face into cold water, can sometimes break the PAT

    This one is called the divers reflex and the cold water to the face can slow the heart rate.

    3) Bear down hard like you were trying to push out a baby or have a hard # 2

    This is the vagal maneuver and this too can break PAT.

    But NONE of these are guaranteed to work but it is the few things that you could try at home before going to the E.R. for conversion.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    You can try vagal manuvers. (bear down like when you have a bowel movement) to try and stop it. Other than that, you pretty much need to get treated by a cardiologist. The first tier of care would be to try beta blockers or other anti-arrythmic drugs. If that's not successful, then you'll probably need to have cardiac ablation surgery. In any case, PAT is not really an issue unless you're symptomatic with it. The first thing it sounds to me you need to do is get a cardiology consult.

    Good Luck!

  • 1 decade ago

    Yes, PATS's! You're not alone! Tenormin works the best. If you have break through PAT's ice cold water on the face works wonders. When pulse past 180 I put pressure on carotid artery for a few seconds. It works for me.There is a risk with surgery and I'd rather take meds. See Cardiologist until you feel good. Then your regular Dr is fine between check ups! Good Luck!

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    Yes you are not alone. I may have that, I will be seeing a cardiologist next week. I was told to do the Valsalva Maneuver where you bear down like you are having a bowel movement. Sounds strange but trust me it works, "I have proof". Definitely talk to your doctor though so that he or she can help you out with it and help you to manage it. This arrythmia is very annoying and uncomfortable but I'm sure it can be managed. Talk to your doctor. Good luck!

    Source(s): May have the same thing.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.