Shamil Basayev and Chechnya?

I know this is a shot in the dark, but I was wondering how people (especially Americans) reacted to the death of Shamil Basayev. I know that most American's probably have never heard of him, and I am not looking for a wikipedia answer. I want to know, for those of you that follow Chechnya, what your feelings... show more I know this is a shot in the dark, but I was wondering how people (especially Americans) reacted to the death of Shamil Basayev. I know that most American's probably have never heard of him, and I am not looking for a wikipedia answer. I want to know, for those of you that follow Chechnya, what your feelings are?

Personally, I feel sympathy for the Chechen cause but I also understand the greater political implications....Cilvil War(s) in Russia would be a disaster for just about everyone. I personally think Shamil Basayev got what he deserved, remember he did kill civilians at Budyonnovsk.

Serious thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
Update: P.S. I am Russian-American so I know the history of the region and even the modern dangers of "setting precidents".