STP Oil Treatment?

What is the difference between STP Oil Treatment and STP 4 Cylinder Oil Treatment? Can I use any of them in my 6 cylinder minivan?

• 572ci.
    Favorite Answer

The regular stp is thicker than the 4 cylinder formula..... why? less quart capacity in 4 cylinders... so it doesn't make the oil real thick.

I would pass on the stp, or the foamalizer lucas crud.... just use regular engine oil and be fine.

Stp is just a thick oil add, with the cheap anti wear additive zinc..... nothing special about it. the blue bottle will make a 10w-30 a 15w-40 basically.

• merino

Stp 4 Cylinder Oil Treatment

STP is a thick "Motor Honey" originally designed for race cars -in which engines are rebuilt frequently -- the marketing genius of Andy Granitelli made STP it the number one "treatment" in the 60's and 70's -IF you are going to use STP --you must add when the engine is running ! or the majority will settle in the oil pan -creating a shellac -also will stick oil rings if you prolong oil changes -- will create a black dark buildup -inside of your engine--- I would only use in a car that I would not plan on keeping for keeping for a length of time - STP does mask noisy engines to some extent and oil usage till the rings stick then you have a worse problem --only an engine rebuilt will solve

If your going to ad STP oil treatment you might just as well put 90 wt gear oil in.

Thats all STP is ,heavy oil

Change your oil and try 1 quart of Rislone

If your oil turns black than it's working and you will have to change the oil every 2000 miles adding Rislone til it's seems your getting better mileage before it turns black.

This will clean all the carbon deposits and lubricate the upper end better

• Nimbus

most oil companies say that all the addiives are already in their products and products like stp are a waste of money.

I know that when I added stp to my car, the car was idling, the revs rose on their own. Use either

This is pretty much a case of silly over-specialization. Both contain the same amount of active ingredient - a zinc compound - in slightly different blends of conventional motor oil. Many oils such as Valvoline already have the zinc compound mixed in anyway. I wouldn't bother with either one.

• ?

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awGrl

STP contains ingredients that swell the gaskets and the clutch plate material in the transmission. It does work for a while with varying degrees of success.

Do yourself a favor and use Lucas oil treatment at your next oil change, i have used it on many cars and i think it works best. advanced auto parts sells it.

• Neil G

personaly i wouldnt use any of it but if you do put it in your engine use it 4 a 4 cylinder

i wouldnt use any of it.the oil today has additive in it,but if you are going to use any,use cd2 oil treatment.if your car is smoking use no-smoke or smoke-b-gone,but if its smoking,you probably need a overhaul job.