nkbocc asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

Is Gorillaz the Pink Floyd of today?

I am not asking for which artist is better, but how they relate to their respective musical contemporaries.

Favorite Answer

nope..take it back...lol

I'm not sure why you would say that. The two bands have incredibly different styles. While Gorillaz tend to operate on a 3-4 minute radio song basis, Pink Floyd (during their Gilmour days) wrote much longer songs, many of tended to take a while to fully develop. Gorillaz also have a lot of Hip Hop in their sound, while Pink Floyd were a rather Progressive Classic Rock group. The subject matter of the two artists' material is rather different as well.

I don't see how the comparison can really be made between the two bands. They're both very well known, but for completely different reasons. And it's unfair to call any band with only two albums the "Pink Floyd" of today regardless - another part of Pink Floyd is their timelessness and how long their long run of truly great albums has lasted in the public eye. Gorillaz could be forgetten in two or three years if they fail to produce another hit or break up.

What Ime_888 said here I completely agree with...

"I think people should expand their minds a bit and get out of the 70s and realize that some of the bands today make awesome music and can compete with some of the legendary bands of yesterday!

Being that it is basically only Damon running the show, I do not know if you can compare Gorillaz to Pink Floyd, a better comparison would be to Prince, who basically wrote and performed all the music himself on his albums, but went on tour with different personnel. But, both Damon and Prince in my opinion are friggin geniuses! "

Even though I'm no Prince fan, I still agree

Damon Alburn is the Gorillaz. He is a fantastic songwriter and the mastermind behind Gorillaz. He is also the lead vocalist and songwriter of BLUR, one of the great bands of all time, definitely up there with PINK FLOYD, as one of the all-time greatest U.K. bands.

Strictly in comparison of songwriting, Damon Alburn can compete with Roger Waters and David Gilmour, IMHO. With Gorillaz he uses much more variety than with Blur, with his use of the Chinese instrument Guqin and other exotic instruments. I think their most recent album is much stronger than their first.

I think people should expand their minds a bit and get out of the 70s and realize that some of the bands today make awesome music and can compete with some of the legendary bands of yesterday!

Being that it is basically only Damon running the show, I do not know if you can compare Gorillaz to Pink Floyd, a better comparison would be to Prince, who basically wrote and performed all the music himself on his albums, but went on tour with different personnel. But, both Damon and Prince in my opinion are friggin geniuses!

I could understand the comparison if you are comparing earlier pink floyd s stuff with the gorillaz like stuff from the syd barrett days. I don t get why people are getting so upset over a simple question.

NO!!!!!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

Do you even listen to Pink Floyd??

Nobody will ever rival or match Pink Floyd, ever.

Especially not the Gorillaz.

I'm going to say no- Gorillaz can't touch Pink Floyd- no way.

I don't think so . I like them but no one today can even hold a candle to Pink Floyd!

bleh i don't like pink floyd therefor gorillaz own

Hell no...more like tool is the pink floyd of today

Please, 40 yrs from now, aint nobody gonna know who the *** the gorillaz are. but i bet "dark side of the moon" is still on the charts