C-Media AC97 Audio Device- device cannot start (code 10)??

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I had Windows 2000 and then we installed Windows XP on my computer. After Windows XP was installed I no longer had sound working on my computer--which sucks!! I went to the Device ...show more
Best Answer
  • joe m answered 8 years ago
I HAD THIS EXACT PROBLEM ON ONE OF MY COMPUTERS, AND ALL I DID WAS DOWNLOAD THE NEW DRIVER FOR XP FROM THE MOTHERBOARD MANUFACTURER. TAKE THE SIDE COVER OFF OF YOUR TOWER, AND WITH A FLASHLIGHT, LOOK BETWEEN THE PCI SLOTS(USUALLY, BUT NOT ALWAYS) AND LOOK FOR THE MOTHERBOARD MODEL#. FOR EXAMPLE: IF IT'S AN MSI BOARD, IT WILL SAY SOMETHING LIKE--MS-6732 REV 1.1. IF IT ISN'T THERE IT IS PRINTED SOMEWHERE ON THAT MOBO(MOTHERBOARD). FIND IT AND THEN GO TO THE MANUFACTURERS WEB SITE. IT COULD BE MANUFACTURED BY ANY NUMBER OF COMPANIES. A FEW REALLY POPULAR ONES ARE: ASUS,GIGABYTE,MSI,BIOSTAR,ECS, AND SO ON. THEIR LOGO MIGHT BE ON THE MOTHERBOARD SOMEWHERE. MAYBE EVEN ON THE NORTH/SOUTH BRIDGE(CHIPSET). ONCE YOU FIND IT GO TO THEIR WEBSITE AND CLICK ON EITHER DOWNLOADS OR SUPPORT/DOWNLOADS. AND FIND THE RIGHT DRIVER FOR YOUR SPECIFIC MOBO;DEVICE(SOUND);AND OPERATING SYSTEM(XP). AND DOWNLOAD IT. THEN GO INTO THE DEVICE MANAGER, AND RIGHT-CLICK THE SOUND DEVICE, AND CLICK "UPDATE DRIVER". LET THE COMPUTER SEARCH FOR IT. YOU CAN ALSO OPEN THE FILE YOU DOWNLOADED, AND CLICK THE INSTALL OR SET-UP ICON, AND IT WILL INSTALL THE DRIVER . AFTER THIS YOU SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO. IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS FINDING THE MOBO MODEL, THERE ARE A FEW OTHER OPTIONS FOR IDENTIFYING IT, SUCH AS USING THE FCC ID NUMBER AND A COUPLE OF OTHERS. JUST EMAIL ME joe_mccn@yahoo.com AND I WILL WALK YOU THROUGH IT. HOPE THIS HELPS. IF YOU VOTE ME BEST ANSWER, I WILL ASSUME THIS FIXED IT FOR YOU. WHATEVER HAPPENS, I HOPE U GET IT FIXED BECAUSE I KNOW FIRSTHAND THIS IS ANNOYING. GOOD LUCK, JOE.
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (2)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • wrenchz_rog answered 8 years ago
    I had window XP my sound device is no longer play with the sound into speaker. the C-mediaAC 97 theres yellow( !) like these.I tried to set up but the same no happen.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Harry Cat answered 8 years ago
    Sounds like you need to update your sound card driver.
    Use a search engine and search for C-Media-AC97 Audio Driver.
    The C-Media-AC97 Sound card chip is very famous.
    You shouldn't have any problem finding one.

It might not be the Sound Card driver which is the problem, it could be a simple Hardware conflict.
    Under the Hardware properties, check the Hardware resources tab and see if you have any conflicting hardware.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock