Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why are Jesus Believers called Freaks? Are there also Buddha Freaks, Allah Freaks, Vishnu Freaks, Mary Freaks?

1 Peter 4:14 (The Message)

The Message (MSG)

Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson

14-16If you're abused because of Christ, count yourself fortunate. It's the Spirit of God and his glory in you that brought you to the notice of others. If they're on you because you broke the law or disturbed the peace, that's a different matter. But if it's because you're a Christian, don't give it a second thought. Be proud of the distinguished status reflected in that name!

• Favorite Answer

I think because its so simple, believing in Jesus, that you get labeled because you have faith in something that you can't see, hear or otherwise know that it exists. Other religions have to do rituals, have strict praying habits, can't eat certain things, can't wear or have to wear things, can't watch tv, and things like that. Yet, Jesus believers are the freaks. Go figure. Good question, I hope you meant it....

And yes, I am a Jesus Freak, and proud of it!

Well, I do not know if Jesus believers are called 'freaks' even today. One has to recognise that time and era 2000 years ago was much different when life was a real struggle and for the sake of mere survival one had to commit barbarian acts of plundering and looting. To teach unselfishness and compassion those days might be regarded unusual. But in modern times, when one knows that all humans are creation of the same god, to preach that my God is superior, so get converted to my religion

is not only 'freakish' but out right fanaticism. That is why one does not hear Buddha freak or Vishnu freak.

Simple, no one has ever knocked on my door and asked me if I had accepted Vishnu into my life. "Jesus Freak" is a term normally reserved for those vacant-eyed individuals who don't just believe in Jesus but instead have no other part of their life. It's fine to be spiritual and have religion be a big part of your life, but when it's the only thing in your life it's time to re-examine. Even Jesus didn't preach that.

It started in the early 1970's with Hippies (who prefer to call themselves Freaks) who got involved in the Pentecostal and Baptist Charismatic movement. The movement petered out in the early 1980's.

Source(s): was there to see it all

If you ever met a Jesus Freak, you would understand the term completely.

• Jerdy

Nobody freaks nobody! If you dont wanna believe that`s fine with me, but hate that....Well are we getting in a personal matter!

• R G

Any body who over does any ting is a freak !

Now you sound a freak !

It's called Prejudice...

budha freaks are called chinks

allah freaks are called taliban

iono bout the other fags

u need help man find some one who can help u and teach u to respect