Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 decade ago

If the human race will one day become extinct, what’s the point of living then?

If humans aren't the cause of their own extinction, the sun will do us over when it becomes a Red Giant. So seriously, what's the point of living at all? We spend our days trying to survive, working hard, going to school, etc. and for what? Someday we'll be extinct. Seems like a waste of time worrying about things that in the end, when all is said and done—will be technically insignificant. *This is NOT a suicide question but rather it is a hypothetical question.*

Favorite Answer

we will probably become extinct, but how. we may just evolve, maybe we will transcend the boundaries of our sun our universe & or our perception just like "we" did when we learned how to breath air instead of water or make tools. perhaps we will befriend an alien race and they will cary on our memory.

The point is... we're not extinct yet. I don't "try to survive" I just do. I work hard because I enjoy the things money can buy and I went to school because I didn't want to spend my life in ignorance. If the human race becomes extinct with time, so be it. Today I live.

Life means just what you think it does on an individual basis and nothing else...as for the sun becoming a red giant, that isn't my problem because my relatives will be off world by then, so that was a nice little test to see who knew that...and the point of it all is to do awesome incredible things and see awesome incredible things before you are dead. Some people think you take that sort of thing with you as it in some way it becomes part of you. We don't know for sure just what the heck it all means. Mostly we know what it doesn't mean, and too many people get sucked down the drain of endless TV, a job they hate, etc...others are too obsessed over race and war and pointless crud like that. I'll stick to my first sentence, and know that I have found meaning for me. Your meaning/answer will be different.

I'm not convinced that anything dies. There may be existence which we are not aware of. When we animals pass from one form we may enter another. This is not some sci fi plot but just speculation.

Death-less-ness may require some of the actions we take as we are living our lives. Those purposes may not be evident just as molecules where not evident 500 years ago.

We are trained from an early age to make decisions which benefit our society. Possibly the greatest ones we can make benefit ourselves as much.

There is also the possibility that there is not linear time. Possibly, this moment is eternity.

You ask a good question. As long as you can ask good questions and stimulate the thought processes of others, I think that's a pretty good raison d'etre.

The Sun will continue as a stable star for at least as long as its supply of hydrogen lasts. (Hydrogen nuclei are fused together to form helium in its core, with energy given off). This is predicted to be for the next 4-5 billion years. By the end of that time, the Sun will begin to fuse helium, and as a result, expand in diameter to perhaps 300 times its present size. After it burns out its helium, it will begin to reduce in size, then cool. That process will probably take another 5-8 billion years. It is probably safe to say that the Sun can support life on Earth fairly well for at least another 3 billion years, possibly more. I think a billion years is too much more than enough for us humans to find a way to get out of this dirt ball...

Yes, I'm sure we will die out as always, but make the most of it while you can. Enjoy yourself. Also, I like to think that we can get passed the red giant problem. Technoglogy has increased so much in just this short amount of time that by the time the sun turns into a red giant we should be able to make it to another galazy by then.

By the time the sun becomes a red giant, the human race won't be confined to Earth. For an alien, i question your logic.

• Eric X

The answer is that this time is for humans to live happy and get a chance to try to prevent extinction.

Because, no one knows when/if the extinction will happen. Therefore, we must live. What do you want the human race to do? Kill everyone? What choice do we have but to live for the time being?

The point of living, is the same as the point of pooping. For one you have to do it unless you commit suicide. And the other, you have a chance to make someone else's life easier or hard depending on what you life has in store for you. We all die anyways, so do the things you want to do within reason, and then die. Thats what i say.