Lo asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

any tips on veterinary school?

I am going to be a junior in high school. I have wanted to be a veterinarian all my life. I know vet school is hard to get into...i'm just wondering if anyone has previously appiled before and knows the requirements or any extra things I could do to make my application more likely to be chosen. Any helpful pointers will do!

Favorite Answer

Animal experience is a good thing on your application, but it is not difficult to get: The best is to volunteer at an animal care shelter or Vet's office while you are in High School and also in College. That way you can get letters of recommendation from some actual Vets who you worked with. You will also see if the job is for you! (You might just want to become a licensed Vet Tech, which is MUCH easier!)

The really hard part is to get the grades and high test scores. You will need to get a BS in Biology, Chemistry, or Zoology from an acreditted college. You should have at least a 3.8 GPA, and do well on the Graduate Record Exam. Vet School admissions are usually limited to people who are residents of the state where the school is located. Not every state has a Vet School, so you need to think about the one you want to attend and become a resident of that state before applying. That means you should probably get your BS at a college in that same state. I don't think going to an espensive Ivy League college will help. Better to get a 4.0 from your State University system than a 3.8 from Harvard or Yale!

Don't get discouraged if you don't get in the first time you apply: Go back and repeat any classes you got a bad grade in, and some more upper division Biology or Physiology classes at your college, and also get some more animal experience someplace you can get another recommendation.

The critical skill you will need in Vet School is the ability to accept failure! Many Vet students have received straight As all their lives. Their first B or C, and they have a nervous breakdown and drop out! Almost nobody gets straight As once they are in Med or Vet school because all of your classmates will be just as smart and hard working as you are! You will need financial assitance during Vet School. It is much more than a full time job. If you try to work to support yourself at the same time, you will burn out.

In your fourth year, you will sit for the board exams. If you were paying attention you may pass the first time. Don't worry too much if you don't: You can go back, study some more, and try again later.

If you just can't get in a Vet School in the US, you can always go to a foreign Vet School, like in Mexico. After graduating, you then have to work for a licensed Vet for a couple of years before sitting for the board exam. But a license is a license, no matter where you went to Vet School!

Source(s): My wife graduated from UC Davis Vet School in 1991.

You will have to attend a local university first and petition to get into a vet program where it is offered. I have heard of people waiting up to 3 years to get accepted to vet school. If this is really what you want, you need to take some college classes next year and prepare yourself for the long haul. When you do start college, contact the director of the vet program where you plan to attend and talk with him/her about what classes you should take and so forth. Making an appointment to see the director in person is also a good idea.

I took a vet tech class that was offered while I was in high school. It was dual credit with a nearby community college. We did the lab hours in class and had to volunteer for a specific number of hours at a vet clinic as the clinical internship. You should look into those types of classes to see if they are offered at the schools in your area. Earning any type opf preliminary certificates will make your application stand out. Also, keep in mind, to get to med school to be a vet, you first have to graduate from College. Make sure to do volunteer work or get an actual job with a vet clinic as you go through school. Of course taking bilogy and zoology classes will be required. Do well in them and get good refereances from your proffessor. Basically putting in as much time as possible with hands on experience looks the best on any application/ resume. Best of luck! Congrants on your ambition.

Source(s): Father in law -to be is a Vet and I took vet tech classes and wanted to be a Vet myself.

Make sure your math scores are prefect and take every science and advanced science you can. Vet schools are harder to get into than med schools. Weird huh? Im from Ohio and I know people who have become doctors because they were on a waiting list for OSU vet. I was. get a 4.0 grade average.

I haven't applied to vet school, but I used to work for a vet and she said to get as much animal experience as possible (both paid and volunteer) to help you when you apply to vet school. It also doesn't hurt to get certifications in other areas (such as dog training, pet cpr/first aid, etc) to make you look like a better candidate for the school...:)

I wish you luck!

• erchul

many cases they might ask complication-unfastened animal technology questions. Examples: Q. in case you observed an animal getting up on the horizon, is it a horse or a cow? A. A cow gets up rear first, a horse front first. Q. what number legs do millipedes and centipedes have? A. Millipedes have 2 pairs of legs in line with physique section and centipedes have a million pair in line with physique section. the 1st Q. became asked to my now ex spouse at her vet interview at Kansas State. the 2nd became asked to her older brother while he went to vet college at KSU. Be on your feet and be waiting for complication-unfastened sense Q's.