Is the 1994 chevy cavalier known to have problem's ?.?

I might buy this cavalier. I am wondering if it's worth buying. It has an overheating problem minor rust, the right side door lock doesn't work, may need brakes soon, over 80.000 miles. On the upside, cd player, good tires, and it's still running. No visible leaking. The owner is going to sell for 200 bucks. Is that worth it, or could I talk him down some ?

Favorite Answer

I agree with Jody. If it has an automatic Transmission there were serious problems with them from 1988-1997. 80k was just about life on them. As far at the overheating...be very careful there. That car has an aluminum head on it, meaning its much more likely to warp if driven for a while overheating. That 200 dollar car could cost you an additional 500 to fix that problem! At 80k miles its probably a bad water pump...that'll run you 200 minimum to replace.

one thing will be the transmission, and they rust really bad underneath, its worth 200, thats a fair price, but i would get a carfax on it and plus have a mechanic look at it before you buy