Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternet · 1 decade ago

What are good computer books?

i would like to know what are some good books that help you learn how to program and how to repair computers.. please tell which ones and why...

Favorite Answer

You seem to be fairly new to computers. Programming and repairing computers are two totally different fields of study. I suspect when you say program you may mean operate, which is another completely different field.

If you're interested in a career in computer programming, I recommend "The Complete Idiot's Guide to a Career in Computer Programming" -It provides a good overview of the field, but might be a bit dated.

For computer repair, you might start with "Upgrading & Repairing PCs in Easy Steps"

If you just want to learn how to operate a computer, you might try "Windows XP in Easy steps", or "Windows XP Troubleshooting in Easy Steps"

The Easy Steps (available at Barnes & Noble in the U.S. or http://www.bn.com/ on the Web) books are very simple, very inexpensive, and a good place to start.

Hey... I still remember when I picked up my first programming book 8 years ago. Well, you'll have to decide what programming language you wish to learn. More popular languages include VB.Net, C#, Java, C++ and PHP. I would recommend that you start with a simple scripting language (it's powerful mind you) like PHP. From there, it would be good to read a book on databases (like MySQL).

If you are a beginner, consider buying books from the "For Dummies" series or the "In 24 Hours" series. In fact, even as a software engineer now, I still pick up such books to quickly learn a new programming language or concept.