Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 1 decade ago

Does anyone think it's strange or unusual for a black girl to do ballet??

I do ballet and I love it..People's opinion would not influence my love for dance but sometimes I just get some weird reactions.

Favorite Answer

That is because you are a pioneer! There aren't many of you, but NO!!! It's absolutely not weird, it's wonderful. Keep blazing and doing what you love. Who cares what people think? You love it and you aren't hurting anyone....Enjoy!!

• mia

I don't think it is weird at all, that you are black and a ballet dancer. Actually, I think it is wonderful. The people that give you weird reactions are the ones that you are helping by opening a new door on the way these people see the world.

I am so sorry that there is still that kind of narrow minded bigotry out there! Strange or unusual -- absolutely not it is only strange or unusual that in this day and age people would even act like that!

Dance on--enjoy ballet--look beautiful and feel beautiful. Swans aren't only white, they are even more beautiful and exotic when they are black.

It is a terrible cliche that all ballerinas are light skinned blonde European girls. Ever heard of Dance Theater of Harlem? http://www.dancetheatreofharlem.org/home.html There are many black dancers in that company...they make up the majority. And you know what? They are EXCELLENT! I had the privilege of watching a video of their Creole Giselle in one of my ballet classes (I'm a dance major with a concentration in ballet) and it was sooo beautiful. I loved it. There are also many talented black dancers in other ballet companies all over the place, but DTH was the best example I could think of. :)

Hope they're encouraging to you! Keep dancing!

Here is the thing, I am sick and tired of people acting as if certian things are for one race and other things are for others. Just because white people might come up with ballet we (blacks) can do it. As for us comming up with rap, white people that like it can do it also. It might be wierd to see you doing it but people really don't care. Of course you'll get a few here and there who are ignorant and will say you shouldn't do it but F them. Do what you want. When I moved to Florida and I started school alot of people were like "You dress white" I was like "how do you dress white?" White is a color not a style. I didn't let it bother me because I like how I dress. So anyways Just Do YOU!!!

no! i'm all the way in singapore and a studio which i used to go to had lotsa ballet posters and stuff, and there were lotsa black people in them.

they still look beautiful! it's ballet - it's the same. i don't think dance is a prejudice of races. =))

and it's even more beautiful when you love it like you do -

Not at ALL!!! You are a girl doing ballet. Ballet is just another form of dance and expressing yourself. There are ballerinas of every nationality. There are entire ballet troupes that are African American too. Be who you are.

No , my daughter is in an all black ballet class. Im 1/2 white, so she's the only child in there with a parent who is white/partially white. its not weird, my sister-in-law is a black ballerina as well.

It's only unusual if she can't dance, but then again, it's unusual for anybody who can't dance to do the ballet.

not at all, i believe a brown or dark-skinned, graceful young woman

would look awesome performing ballet/then again, the colour of your ballet suit is important, can't help you there, no eye for coordinating/

personally, i think it's mesmerizing/chocolate or light-chocolate skin

is so beautiful...

be true to your dreams...

If you enjoy it, then do it. I do remember seeing black members of a ballet troupe in France, more years ago than I care to mention.