Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

a atom has 6 protons and 8 neutrons.the # of electrons is what if its not chemically combined?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

it will have 6 electrons... unless it is ionized.

• 1 decade ago

Extremely poorly worded question, but the answer I think you're looking for is six. You're probably assuming that if an atom is not part of a chemical compound that it is electrically neutral (not an ion). This, however incorrect, is probably what your question is asking. I have to assume this, or else I don't have enough information to answer the question properly.

Anyway, if the atom is electrically neutral, then there must be the same number of protons as there are electrons, because protons have a charge of +1 and electrons have a charge of -1. Therefore, since you have 6 protons, you'll need 6 electrons. Since neutrons are electrically neutral to begin with, the number of them is irrelevant.

Hope this helps.

• 1 decade ago

In a free atom, the number of protons and electrons are equal. The number of neutrons varies in different isotopes. Some are stable, but others are unstable. You are discussing carbon 14 which is radioactive and used to date organic material.

• 1 decade ago

It will have 6 electrons (negatively charged) to balance out the 6 protons (positively charged). The number of neutrons determines which isotope it is.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Carbon-14

• 1 decade ago

it would have 6, remember that if an element is not chemically combined, then it will have the same number of electorns as protons. its what keeps the atom at a neutral change.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It is C14 ,,,,,,,,,,,,, it is radioactive form of carbon..........

which is used for carbon dating.........

carbon dating is the calculation of C14 remain in any of the organic matter.

By calculating that anyone can detect the time of decaying matter from which its starts disintegrates......

even we can tell the half life period....

t1/2 = 0.692 / Lambda

• 1 decade ago

is it an isotope, it can have different negative charges

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.