car problem?

i was running the car with my foot in the clutch and the gear on first. when i was ready to turn it off, i accidently turned the key to ignition (instead of off) when the car was running. it was a short time but is there any damage to the engine? i have high performance cams intalled to consider. i know its stupid of me to do and i wasnt thinking but i really love this car. 97 mitusbishi eclipse GS

Favorite Answer

no you probably didn't hurt anything this time,,we have all done it at one time or another,,the worst it would have done would have done would have been chew on the Bendix gear that engages in to the fly wheel,,but if it starts OK,,then it should be fine,,i did it in my mustang,a few times,,and it didn't hurt anything,,so it should be OK,,hope this help,s.

So If i understood your question correctly, you accidentally turned the ignition as if you were going to start the engine while the car was already on, right?

In this case, you most likely did not hurt anything. I mean the most damage you can do is probably hurt the starter. But, I'm sure your car is fine.

It's not likely any damage was done to the engine. The starter motor is suppose to disengage after the engine is starter. The worst you could have done was damaged your fly wheel/flex plate and your starter motor.

You should be able to open up the flex plate inspection area and check the flex plate to see if any damage occurred, but it's not likely.

probably not, everyone does this once in their life, I never did it though, if the starter still starts the engine and their are no unusual noises from it your ok

• Bratso

You are OK now , don do it all the time because you can damage the starter.

If you do experience any problems when starting the car, then no harm done.

Your car should live. I've done it before. Don't do it again.