i am using win xp. everything is fine in my bios setup. i make floopy as 1st boot, hdd and cdrom.?

as A: is already shown and type C: i cannot access this hdd and cd-rom. I made this start up floppy disk from other computer which has winxp also. i check all the connection in the motherboard. i am using this computer for 5 months now. can you help me?

Favorite Answer

If you put the start up floppy in, then start the pc up, then yes it will want to know what you want to do. You type in c: you say, well it will try to find the hard drive, but you probably renamed your hard drive according to the floppy. Why do you do this anyways? You should make a startup floppy from your own computer, not someone else's. Lots of newer computers don't even come with floppy drives anymore. If you have a choice in your bios, make the cd/rom or cd/recorder your first to be recognized, then the HD, then the floppy, if there is one. You have to remember that the MS/DOS is not the same in XP as it was on 98 or 98SE. The 'DOS' is included into Windows XP itself, not a seperate entity, so BIOS can't open it seperately like before.

maybe there is the problem with your floppy boot disk. why not use your win-xp cd-rom as your 1st boot. if your the file system of your hdd & cdrom is not properly mounted with your floppy disk, for sure it cannot be read.

I make floopy too.

We need more detailed info.

Is this a new/used motherboard, like a crappy ASUS? You can't fix that, if that is what you have.

Check your ribbon cables and try new cables too. Make sure the cables are not reversed.

I just love that install linux answer... Which he knows is not a mainstream solution. But, "Look at me I use Linux". The people that use linux never really talk about it except to others they know use linux....sad :)

get rid of xp install linux

Can you rephrase that?