chorizobagel asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

why is my cat peeing outside the litter box?

my cat age 5 years (a female) has just started peeing on my rug and pulls down my wash cloth so she can pee on it. She has been checked by the vet-no medical problems

The only difference is that the rug and washcloth have never been used before, I bought them several months ago and never put them out to use until recently

Favorite Answer

Are you keeping the litter pans clean? Some cats will no use a litter pan that is not clean.

Are you sure there was nothing with her? If you didn't get a urine sample from her, do that. If she has crystals, it hurts her when she goes and urinating on things could be her trying to get your attention to tell you something's wrong.

If you did get a urine sample, maybe she just doesn't like your taste in rugs and new washcloths and is voicing her opinion on them ;) Whatever her problem is, it can be fixed and I hope you get it sorted out soon!

***If you did do a urine sample, then forget this part, but if you didn't and aren't sure about how to do that, then forge ahead!***

To get a urine sample, put her in a room by herself with a tupperware dish (or something of the like) for her to go in. Put a little shredded paper in it or some shredded wax paper. Give her some water too. I'd say food, but when I went through all this, he tracked crumbs into his box and it was hard to tell with the microscope what everything was. You might have to just lock her in a closest or in a dog crate.

keep the litter box super clean - I mean clean it every morning and every evening. Sometimes cats are just super picky about the place they "go". It has to be really clean. There is also a spray you can use around the litter box area that attracts cats to that area and makes them more prone to pee there. Give that a shot. I can't remember the name of it - just go to Petsmart or something and check it out.

If nothing is different in the household and she's always used her box as she is supposed to, I would have to suggest she might have an elimination issue -- altho I realize you've had her checked. It could be anything from a UTI to crystals to kidney issues to cancer -- how serious it could be runs the gamut. Is she spayed? If not -- get that done!!! Cats WILL go outside their box when they have pain or discomfort when eliminating, so they go elsewhere because they will begin to associate the discomfort with the litter box and will try to avoid the pain by using "elsewhere" instead.

I'm having a kidney issue with mine, so I understand your frustration. I wish you luck!!!

Are you sure she doesn't have a urinary tract infection? If this is ruled out then it might be behavioral . Start by retraining her to use her litter box. Put her in a room with her litter box , water and food and keep her in there until she consistently uses the litter box and nothing else

Source(s): I am a vet assistant

We had this same problem with our female cat. We solved the problem with one Of those covered litter boxes, she just wasn't aware enough about her judgment and space. Good luck.

• dot

clean the catbox and try different types of litter. i reccomend fresh step scoop litter with arm and hammer litter deoderizer

just every time she does that drag her over to where she did and spray her 4 times with a squirt bottle

She's a rebel. James Dean's her idol!

• crown

feed her on them to teach that is her place too.She feels it belongs to someone else.