just1dot asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

What's the best way to get rid of puppy urine smell?

It took me a while to house train my puppy but the accidents she did have I can still smell even though I cleaned the areas, and the entire carpet, too. Any suggestions??

Favorite Answer

My dog peed all over the carpet when we were training her and I looked on the Internet and found that white vinegar takes the smell out. Then what I did was I cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide and it took up a lot of the stain. Test the hydrogen peroxide in an inconspicuous space first.

Hey! I had the exact same problem! Steam cleaning really didn't do the trick for me. I tried the white vinegar and it did work but then you have a faint vinegar smell. So a few days so the vinegar could dry completely I let backing soda set in the carpet over night then vacuumed it up the next morning and for me it really worked. If you have a BIG area they sell a product called Odo Ban it really works wonder. Here is a really gross example. This elderly lady I know lives in an older house and she keeps a deep-freezer on the back porch. Well, apparently a mouse got in behind it and died. You know the rest. She couldn't pull the freezer out and so she just poured the Odo Ban over the mouse. She swears she never smelled it again. If it will work for her, I am positive it would work for puppy urine!! They say its not supposed to stain or anything! Good Luck!

A product called Nature's Miracle works very well to eliminate the odor. It's important to get rid of the odor entirely not only so your friends will still come over (!) but also because your new puppy might recognize the urine smell and consider that area to be an appropriate toilet. Not good. Try the Nature's Miracle and consider investing in a steam cleaner.

Tomato juice can get rid of skunk urine smell and would also work for puppy urine. Apply tomato juice on the fouled area and then clean your entire carpet with vinegar.

Spot test the tomato juice in a hidden area to see if the stain is remove easily before using everywhere.

Ok, most of these answers are temporary fixes. Unfortunately, if you've done all the cleaning you can, you'll just have to replace the items/carpet that your puppy vacated on. Sorry.

I use lemon juice and a damp sponge. Cleans and freshens! I also seems to prevent repeat offenses!!!! I have 3 dogs from 12 years to 10 months. Its very fresh and all mine are now well trained!

buy some disposible mats for dogs. my auntie used to buy those for her used-to-be puppy[he's a grown dog now]. but what they do is that when the dog has to pee, there's a certain smell that they smell on those mats that make them think that they are grass from outside. so the dog will peepee on that and the mat eliminates the odor, and when he's done peeing on it, you can just throw it out and put another one one the floor.

the pack of mats come with like 70 mats in one package. make sure he pees on that mat.

well i hope i helped you out. i had to squeeze out as MUCH info that i can because i don't really know too much about dogs peeing...i only know about cats[...you know, with the kitty litter and stuff?!]

Source(s): and i HOPE you find what i'm talking about in the store. try going to walmart.

I just got a puppy and Petco recommended Nature's Miiracle. I have to say it really works it's a good stain and odor remover.It also works on old set in odors.

An enzyme-based cleaner. You can find them in many stores, even grocery stores. The enzyme actually breaks down the organic (urine) molecules, rather than just masking them.

• Tones

Pinesol. It gets rid of the smell (like vinegar), but, unlike vinegar, provides and leaves a nice smell.