roland_reardon asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How Can I Make It Safe For My Dog When She Rides Shotgun In The Front Seat of My Car ?

She weighs about 20 pounds. She is hell-bent on riding shotgun. It makes me really uncomfortable and I am always aware of it while driving. She is not restrained - and probably worse - there is an air bag on that side.

Not only could she bounce all over the place, but, on top of that, an airbag inflating in a zillionth of a second would (I believe) be the end of her.

She never rides on the floor on that side and she goes bananas if I put her in the back seat - not that the back seat is worlds better, anyway. She sits there on the seat looking out of the windows.

I have not searched around on this - I just happened to be here now and saw a thing on pets pop up - so I am asking the question.

• Favorite Answer

They make seat belt harnesses for dogs now. They're relatively inexpensive, but the cost doesn't compare to the safety of your furry pal! I know they sell them at PetSmart, if you have a store close where you are. If not, go to www.petsmart.com, click on "dogs" and then click on "auto travel". Several options will pop up, giving you loads of options for the kind of restraint you want for your dog. They even sell them for bucket seats and bench seats if you take your dog in a sports car or truck.

If you don't have a seat belt harness system for your dog, but you need to take her somewhere right away, here's a trick that works for me: If you have a harness that you'd put on her to take her for a walk, put that on her before you get in the car. In the car, put the seat belt through the back of the harness; then pull the seat belt out as far as it will go, so that the emergency lock on the belt engages. That will pretty much secure your pet--she won't be going anywhere if you slam on the brakes or take a turn a little too quickly. The worst that could happen is that her legs might slide out from under her and she has to sit down.. if something should happen and the airbag deploys, well.. that's a different story.

Your pup should always ride in the back seat, much the same way a child should. BUT, if she's hell-bent on riding shotgun, either buy her a safety restraint specificaly designed for a dog of her size/breed, or try out the makeshift harness idea I described above.

Hope this helps :)

Source(s): Petsmart.com, personal experience.

I agree with the doggie seatbelt idea. The booster seat is a good idea too. We got our dog a seatbelt in Petsmart the other day that is very fast and easy to get on and off. It can be used as a walking harness as well which is perfect for long car trips. All I have to do is unclip the harness from the seatbelt and clip it to a leash when we stop at a rest area.

As for the airbag problem... My car's owner's manual says that in the case of having to have a child in the front seat to move the seat back as far as possible so that if the airbag deploys it won't hit the child with as much force. Your car's manual probably says the same thing. I'd go with that idea for your dog. Just slide the seat back toward the back seats as far as possible.

You can get a harness from a pet supply place like petsmart that hooks into the seatbelt. These are made especially for dogs that like to ride in the front. You may also want to look at the "puppy booster seats". I am not sure about the size limits on them. They work like kid's booster seats and have a way to hook in and this way they can see out. There are a lot of products out there that work great. The pet supply industry is finally taking notice that our pets are out best friends and are making it much easier for us.

they have seatbelts for dogs. also booster seats. some vehicles have the option to turn the airbags off on the passenger side. you can get this at petsmart or usually any pet store

my dog helps me drive

well first of all, y do u take ur dog w/u in the car? a car is not a good place for a dog. example: if ur dog sticks its face out the window while the car is moving, it could catch a disease in the eye and mouth area. anyway u should put the dog in a seat belt.

Source(s): my big brain

Go to the nearest pet store and ask them if they carrier pet car harnesses place like petco have them for 20 dollars. It just fits around their chest and hooks to the seat belt of your car. They work really well

Source(s): personnal

the way to make your dog safer would be put her in the back with a new safe rider seat belt for dogs

Besides the harness you could also put her in a crate (in the back). That is really your best option, that way she's safe and you won't have to be distracted while driving.

If you have the time try buying a dog car seat.

They make a safety belt for dogs that you can use to seat belt them in with. Most of your bigger pet store have them.