i know what is birth control pills but why do you have to take them if your not having sex?

Favorite Answer

Some woman have cysts on their ovaries that are extremely painful and cause greater blood flow and more irregular periods. Birth control helps this by preventing ovulation, which is what causes the cysts to form in the first place. It doesn't help the ones that have already formed. It's a preventitive.

Source(s): Known many ppl w/ an ovarian cyst problem. http://health.yahoo.com/topic/women/medications/ar...

You can also take birth control pills to regulate a pierod or help with a heavy flow or bad cramping. I started taking Bith control pills when I was 16 for just this reason...

Is your question why you take them every day instead of just on the days you have sex?

The BCP's help you to maintain certain hormone levels in your body. If you don't take them every day, they aren't effective as birth control.

because even if you're not having sex at the moment, if you want to you have to be on the pill for at least a month before it's effective... of course, even when it is, you should still use condoms. the pill only helps stops certian problems ;)

Some people take them to regulate periods(so they won't be random), and other take them to relive the pain of cramps. Some parents may feel more comfortable with their daughter on birthcontrol "just in case"

for your period, but you don't have to take birth control if your not having sex!

I really don't know cause I'm a guy. But I personally think that some parents use all those excuses to get their daughters on them because they don't believe them when their daughter tells them she isn't having sex. IDK though.

to control the cycle

some older women (thirty and up) take them to "preserve" their eggs (esp. Seasonale)--- which may allow them to have babies later in life than usual.

it makes ur period more normal and some ppl take it to clear up their skin