sam asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

what do americans think about the israeli attack on lebanon?

what do they think about israeli attack on lebanon civilians. do not relate

hezbullah factor in as a general perception about the children and innocent people do u really think bombing everthing means bombing hezbll and it would be better if american christians anser this question

• Grumpy
    Favorite Answer

I think this latest round of fighting in Lebanon brings questions about whether America and Israel have achieved such a high level of civilization that we cannot do what is necessary to win wars against stateless terrorist foes. Some other questions - harsher ones - also deserve to be asked:

Is the impulse to fault America and Israel for failing to achieve a pristine standard of civilized conduct in war, always rooted in deep humanitarian concerns? Or, are many of those who are quick to point fingers doing so, actually seeking to blame America and Israel for choosing to use military means to defend themselves and defeat a conscienceless and evil enemy?

Is the impulse to publicize, dwell on and make a lascivious show of disgust for a few horrible-but-isolated war crimes and prison incidents based in the liberal-democratic principle that the individual is paramount and every life has meaning? Or are those who do so themselves actually themselves guilty of moral preening?

Are such people, in fact, just crying crocodile tears for the victims and for the reputations of their countries to hide the strictly partisan nature of their opposition, either to the underlying war policy or to the party affiliation of those designing and implementing the policy?

Do they actually oppose this administration and Israel's government for reasons having nothing to do with the war - say, the administration's view of gay marriage or the Israeli government's attack on socialist economics? Have they allowed their views of the matters about which they care more than the war to distort their vision and see the worst in everything done by governments they do not agree with?

Would many of those who approvingly quote and cite the prewar claims that America needed several hundred thousand more military personnel in Iraq as justification for their view that we are losing or have lost the war be standing at the ready to defend the size of those deployments against those who would have said we were using too heavy a hand in Iraq?

Are those in America who compare Iraq to Vietnam and Israel's 2006 Lebanon incursions to the 1982 Lebanon incursions doing so because they fear their nation's defeat and humiliation - or because they are longing to experience or relive the thrill of being part of an anti-war movement?

Is the oft-expressed concern that America was attacked because it cast too intimidating a shadow an honest one? Or do those who say so hold an essentially solipsistic and narcissistic view of the world, according to which America is to blame for the hostile acts and actions taken against it? Is the sole problem we face that we are fighting against an unscrupulous enemy using insufficient means - or is that problem compounded by the fact that we cannot see our way clear to fighting this war decisively to victory, in part due to disingenuous, partisan and fundamentally un-serious domestic criticisms?

Indeed the conundrum is how to fight and win, while at the same time strive for that higher sense of civil freedom.

I think you must do the winning first or there is no chance of the second.

Yours: Grumpy

Well I think it is a shame that there is fighting going on at all. I also think it is a shame Hezbollah hides their weapons among civilians thus creating a civilian human shield. At this point in time I do not believe the civilian killings were intentional so all I can do is pray for the soles of the dead and the healing of those who survived.

Everyone involved will have to answer to God on their judgement day. If it turns out that the civilians were in fact targeted the Israilies will answer to God.

Murder is not condoned in Christianity.

I am an American christian and I don't know what to think. I hate to see innocent people getting killed. I can't really answer without using hezbollah as a factor. They are a factor and Israel is a factor. Israel has innocent people dying too. All we can do is pray that there is a solution and quick. Also I do pray for everyone who lives there that is stuck in the middle.

its hard for me to decide what to think i mean hezbollah was launching katushas at israel for years and then they go and kidnap 2 soldiers. Israel has a right to defend itself. I don't like the fact that this many innocent civillians are being killed. Hezbollah is using civillian houses and it would be better for isreal to go in on foot and leave the bombers at base.

they r happy