Why does the Netherlands Soccer team wear orange shirts?

where does the orange come from? Its not on the national flag anywhere.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

i think it's because the Dutch Royal family is also known as The House of Orange. The Italians don't have blue on their national flag but they wear blue shirts.

• 1 decade ago

The Netherlands national football team does not wear the colors of the Dutch flag of today, but instead plays in bright orange. Orange is the historic national color of the Netherlands, originating from the coat of arms of the Dutch founding father William of Orange-Nassau. The top (red) band of the current flag was originally orange.

• 1 decade ago

First of all, aren't there more teams who play in a certain color whilst their flag doesn't have that color? (eg. Germany plays in white, flag is black, red and yellow, Italy plays in blue, flag is green, white and red)

Secondly your question: the founding father of the Netherlands was prince of the principality of Orange, which is in the south of France. The queen of the Netherlands, queen Beatrix, is a far granddaughter of the founding father, Willem van Oranje or William of Orange. That's why our national team wears orange shirts.

• 5 years ago

i believe it is simply because the Dutch Royal family members is as well recognized as The House of Orange. The Italians do not have blue on their nationwide flag nevertheless they put on blue shirts.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bloed
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Our royal house is called van Oranje, of Orange.

Our first king was William of Orange.

That's why :)

• elgil
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Because orange brings out their eyes.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

its their national colour

• 1 decade ago

i cant understand but nice colour i think

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

So they won't get sunburned?

• 1 decade ago

i ono

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.