Are evangelical churches today a legitimate place of worship, or a legal racket?

I used to attend this evangelical church where the minister was constantly obsessed with money. Not only would he include tithing in his sermons every single Sunday but he would also make collections for "African missions" "a fellow minister in the hospital" or any other excuse where money... show more I used to attend this evangelical church where the minister was constantly obsessed with money. Not only would he include tithing in his sermons every single Sunday but he would also make collections for "African missions" "a fellow minister in the hospital" or any other excuse where money could be collected. Meanwhile, when I was unemployed they refused to help me with rent, utilities or food.

The minister and his wife wore designer clothes and lived in a lavish mansion. They would invite other evangelists such as Mike Murdoch and Jesse Duplantis to speak at their church. I doubt these gentlemen would do so for free.

And then the government adds insult to injury in granting these greedy bastards tax-free status.

So what do you think? Are you blind enough to think that this is a legitimate house of worship.... or are you intelligent enough to think that this is a legal racket?

This church is far from unique.
Update: To Cutie Pie (#14): Calling it a "love offering" won't change the facts. Also, as far as "tithing" all of us do tithe whether we go to church or not, often triple-fold to quintuple-fold, but there is another name for it: TAXES.