luke asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

How did Rap start?

What was the "first rap song"

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Rap music originated in the 1970s in the South Bronx area of New York, and was primarily marketed to the African-American community. Being the new music on the scene, rap was recorded by small, independently owned record labels.

Rap music began as a cross-cultural product. Early artists, such as Jool Herc (aka the "Godfather of Hip Hop") and DJ Hollywood, were first and second generation Americans from Jamaica. These artists used the Jamaican style of cutting and mixing with American music; this began the trend of mixing on turntables.

• 4 years ago

Where Did Rap Start

• 6 years ago

I heard rap being sung in a 1938 Marx Brothers Movie by four young boys. Wish I remember name of movie.

• 1 decade ago

Suga hill gang wuz the first rap group.. "rappers delight" was the first song i dont know where to start!!...so if u need all the info hit me up at my e-mail..peace ~1~

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ray charles did it.he started r&b and it evolved into rap

Source(s): i think that's how it started
  • 1 decade ago

some guy couldn't carry a tune to save his soul so he started talking in rhyme. His friend couldn't play any instruments so they started jiggling a record back and forth on a turn table so he could be part of the "song" too. Then some other moron started going whoomph whiffie whoomph brucky rummph rummph rummph and enough people where so screwed up on drugs and alcohol that they thought it was good.

• it started in the south bronx in the 1970s.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

kool herc, first dj, and sugar hill gang, first rappers. you gotta love sugar hill gang

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

"rapper's delight"

sugar hill gang

• 1 decade ago

Check it out .....the first real rap style was started by a white women named "Debbie Harry" A.K.A. "Blondie".....The song title is "The man from mars" by "Blondie"......Check it out!!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.