How do I bounce back from being laid off two months ago? No one is hiring me.?

The company I was working for was sold and I was laid off. Unemployment isn't even enough to pay the rent, much less the bills. I'm a single parent with high school students with lots of needs. I have applied like hell to temp agencies as well as local businesses. I show up at their door step, and short of getting on my knees and begging, I'm doing all I can do.

At this rate, I won't be able to pay my rent in August, and I still don't have a job. I have no family or friends to borrow, no support system. I've gone to any State of Virginia social service that they offer, but it is VERY limited here. Other than doing something illegal, any real suggestions?

I have 20 years work experience in the corporate environment -- 15 in Administrative, 5 in I.T. I am very professional, there really isn't any GOOD reason for my not getting hired right away.

Favorite Answer

I do sympathize. I've been unemployed and I know how awful it can be. There are no easy answers and finding a job can be harder than doing one. Money is a problem, but it is emotionally rough as well.

Try negotiating with your creditors (if you have any) to lower your payments (or just pay the interest). They may allow this.

Also, edit this posted message to tell people what kind of work you do (or at least the general field that you want to work in). If they know that, they may be able to offer more specific advice or may even know somewhere that you can apply.

It can take a while to get a new job, but the economy is generally strong right now (nationally). I don't know what things are like where you live, so relocation may be necessary. A temporary job is good since it can take some of the pressure off and give you time to find what you are really seeking and may allow you to avoid unpleasant things like relocation during your main job search.

What other cababilities do you have? Have you considered taking a job at McDonalds or such just to help make ends meet? Unless unemployment laws in Virginia are way different than elsewhere, you should still receive some unemployment benefits to help make up the difference in wages. I know your high schooler is probably attached to friends, but have you considered relocating to a more metropolitan area? Talk to your landlord, let them know what is going on, maybe they'll allow you to make up the back rent when you get back on your feet.

Good luck, its not easy. Been there, you have my sympathies.

Call the temp agencies daily and tell them that you are available. They won't pick up the phone to call you, you have to call them.

Ask your friends and neighbors if they know of any job openings.

Have you tried grocery stores? They are usually hiring and they pay is pretty good.

If you graduated from college, check Career Services for leads.

Also, and I apologize in advance for suggesting this but it's easy money, try www.phone-actresses.com

• ceprn

Get a job, any job, even at Micky D's or Wally world to tide you over, provided it pays more than the assistance you can get.

well it looks like you got only 1 option. Grow dope until you ge back on your feet