1988 honda civic lost all power while driving now nothing electric works and the car wont start evn wt a boost

• Les
    Favorite Answer

Your old battery has shorted plates inside. This type of failure will short the electric system as well and wreak havoc on the output of the alternator as well.

It won't jump start because the short is across the battery terminals and you are connecting the other battery in parallel with the bad battery, effectively shorting out the donor car's power too.

Do this:

1. Lift the cable(s) from the positive side of the bad battery.

2. Jumper the car with a donor battery by connecting the negative (black) wire to the negative post on the battery and connecting the positive (red) wire to the cable(s) you lifted from the bad battery. Ensure control of the lifted cable and the red jumper wire!

3. Start the car. The car should start normally.

4. Disconnect the jumper cables but ensure the positive cable you lifted from the battery remains isolated. The car should continue to run.

If the car does not continue to run, the alternator is also bad and will need to be replaced.

If you decide to put the cable back on the battery while the car is running, it might still run as the vehicle needs far less power to run than it does to start it. The shorted battery will ruin your alternator though so I do not recommend relanding the lifted cable until the battery is replaced.

lastly, measure the new battery terminals with the engine running... they should measure somewhere between 13 and 14.5 volts. If the voltage measurement does not increase when the car is started, the alternator is not charging the battery and you will only get as far as the new battery can supply power.

Autozone can load test your battery in the parking lot while you wait. They can test the alternator at the same time... while you wait and free of charge (no pun intended).

Good luck!

I had a 90 accord that did the same thing, I got a new batt cause the old one was org., The car did the same thing a week later, got the batt tested and it was dead, no way to recharge it. Luckly I had a warranty on that batt, I finaly changed the alt. and that was the problem.

my 99 civic died on me once while i was driving! and it ending up being the distributor which distributes the sparks to the spark plugs,( everything electric still worked though) it could be that or something else, good luck

Or it could be your battery, they tend to loose power more easily in the summertime

try the alternater and internal battery fluids try water but be careful

your battery could be dead... or it could be that your car just died... sometimes that happens... i suggest calling a mechanic... it could be more than one problem