Has anyone noticed that the sound level increases when a commercial comes on television?

It strikes me as intrusive and insensitive to the listener to pull a "bait and switch" like this to lure people into buying a product. The commercials are recorded at a higher decibel than the show, and I have to turn the volume down to ward off the intense sound of the commercial. It's bad enough that the ratio of programming to commercials is ever decreasing, and instead of entertainment or information, one becomes an unwitting pawn of rampant consumerism. Who's buying this crap anyway? Apparently, the ploy is working. What else are we being duped into by the renegade corporate state? When will enough be enough?

Favorite Answer

I've noticed this too. And it seems like the commercials are louder than ever lately. I usually mute the commercials, but then I have to keep looking to check if the show is back, which is annoying as well.

I think there is technology now so that you don't have to watch commercials. I think it's Tivo. But that's probably expensive.

What really annoys me is having to see the same commercial 4 times during a 30 min. TV program. Especially one that I'd never need to know, such as Diapers or Catfood.

Well, at least all the good shows are coming out on DVD now, so we can skip the commercials that way.

Good luck!

I couldn't agree more! I bartend for a living and it is a standing joke/comment that we always say when the LOUD commercials are shown. (especially the Auto maker ones) And it does depend on how loud - some more than others. "They paid an extra $10,000 or $20,000 for the volume on that!" And of course we all laugh. For us, it usually happens during the news time 4:00-5:00. Thank goodness the jukebox goes on at 6:00. That is the only way I can get through it. I have absolutely no tolerance for it either. When I am home I have to do the same thing. Maybe that's why the batteries in the remote die so quickly!!!!!!!!!!!

I notice it every time a commercial comes on. My sound is run thru my stereo and 2 200 watt speakers so every time a commercial comes on I have to turn the sound down.

Yes, its very annoying. If it's a local business, I actually call them and complain. They think "well I got her attention", but the truth is I'm not buying anything from them.

I also, as I age, find it more difficult to understand the dialogue when they play the background music too loudly. Especially on shows like CSI. The characters need to speak up please.

• Keith

This has been this way for decades. In reality the sound level isn't increasing, in fact only the average sound level increases. They use something called compression which raises the average sound level to a higher level. As humans we interpret how loud sounds are by the average level.

wager is merely yet another channel on cable in my very own opinion, i will take it or go away it. at an identical time as its creation became for a solid reason and mandatory (at that element) a number of the failings they instruct on there i ought to do with out, yet that is going an identical for the different channel. i in my view think of wager and MTV the two have long previous downhill with each and all of the bs actuality exhibits they have, they no longer talk solid music. so that they are able to take them the two away and it does not harm me one bit.

Yeah, they're making sure that they get our attention. However, if they keep this up we'll go deaf....I wonder what they'll do then.

Yeah, I had noticed that too.

its been this way for a while. i dont know what it is. haha its freakkkyyy