What is the difference between First Editions, First Trade Editions and Book Club Editions?

Favorite Answer

First edition

Technically, a true first edition should be designa- ted “first edition, first printing,” a phrase that describes a copy from the first print run of a book’s first edition. A first edition may actually go through many printings before its text is significantly changed, usually to correct one or more errors. When the book goes back to press after such a change, it is in its second edition. Subsequent major changes require new editions—third, fourth, etc. But for collectors, “first edition” has become the shorthand term for a copy from the first printing of the first edition.

First trade edition

The first regularly published edition for release to the book trade and the general public. This may be the true first edition, or it may be preceded by a first limited edition.

First Editions are just what they sound like---the first edition printed of a particular book. Trade editions are usually paperbacks, but high quality, somewhat larger than the "pocket paperbacks" sold in drugstores. The FIRST trade edition would be the first print run of that type. Book club editions are specially printed for offer by a book club; usually of a different size, and not quite the quality of the regular first printing, not worth much to collectors, but great for reading.

Good question I've wondered that myself. When I shop on Ebay for used books I see a lot of auction stating NOT BOOK CLUB EDITIONS, I really don't know what the difference is.

first trade editions and book clubs are totally different from each other

Source(s): will you please vote for me being popular in Kansas

first editions means first edition...the very first time it went through printing. usually hard cover.

trading edition is a revised edition if I am not mistaken.

Book Club Editions...havent heard of that one...I guess it means its condensed and a soft cover.

first edition. first printing of the book (hardbound)

trade editions. later reprints of original editions

book club. massed produced copies of original edition (softcover)

• waters

book club editions are printed on poor quality paper and have cheaper bindings

the person hold the book, there mostly in different economic standards.