how do i apply for charitable (educational) foundation in the state of maryland without the costly exense?

i am operating a non-profit, educational foundation in the philippines for very poor grade school children. i need to get a license or permit in the state of maryland to set the organization in germantown, md. due to the cost involve in the process of becoming a non-profit org i have not filed the applicationto be operational in the states and unfortunately, my expenses for the children last year that was nearly $12k could not be applied to my tax returns for 2005. please help! thanks. klaire

Favorite Answer

Seems like the first step would be to get the IRS to approve you as a charity. Fill out and file a form 1023. Then when they approve you (or at the same time, check the Maryland rules) file for exemption in Maryland.