what does it mean when "check gages" light comes up on my Jeep?

does that "check gages" light means i have a leak on the coolant?? yes, i do have a leak on coolant, but not sure if this is causing the light to light up?

How much will it cost to fix that coolant leak?

Favorite Answer

it can be anything that needs to be looked into.

until you get the leak fixed, it will probably continue (and you will have no idea if something else is causing it)

they can reset it at a dealership

you probably have a low fluid level on something,,also on a jeep i could mean it is not charging good the check gage light also monitors the charging system,,i own a jeep and have had this happen to me,,i also own a repair shop,,and see them all the time ,,most of the time it is just a simple sensor gone bad that detect,s fluid level,s or something like that,but occasionally i get one that has more problems,,you said you did have a coolant leak,,if the coolant stays below a certain level,,and never touches the sensor to kick it off this will cause it to stay on all the time,,so you need to get that fixed as soon as possible,,i hope this help,s,,i do repair for a living.

Source(s): been a mechanic for 35 yrs.
  • Your owners manual has a list of what systems the indicator lights cover. If that doesn't help, take it to a local garage and have them look up the codes on it. If one of your gagues is picking up a bad reading you could need to have a sensor replaced.

The price to fix your coolant leak depends on where it's leaking. If it's a hose It wont run too much (probably less than $20 or 30 for the hose and the clamps if you do it yourself). On the other hand if your radiator is cracked you could be looking at a few hundred.

I'm not sure what exactly is going on with your vehicle but this is what I think. If your light comes on and all your gages are within the normal operating limits of your vehicle, for example light comes on and your fuel gage is close to the E, then that is where your problem

is and the same would apply to all your other gages, volts, temperature, and I'm not sure which other gages your jeep may have. just make sure that when the light comes on, you check the gages to see which one is not where it should be. if all gages read fine and the light is on, you should take it to the dealer, trust me I work at a dealership and we know our product better that most. at least let them diagnose the problem, and then take it to your mechanic of choice to make the repair. As far as price for repair on the leak, you'd have to be a lil more specific as to where the area where the leak is coming from. could be your water pump, radiator, or just a hose. in fact next time the light comes on, check the temp gage on your dash and see if its high, by high I mean close to the top. that would be the most likely to set it off, going by what you said about the leak.

Source(s): mechanic
  • a

Check gauges means check your gauge. You asked how much it is to fix a coolant leak. It depends. You may have a loose hose dripping coolant (look for a white powder near your coolant hoses). Then again, you may have a crack in the block. Any way you look at it, if you let your motor get hot, expect buying a new motor.

• Bob

If it is "check Gages" it usually means that you might getting a false reading from the sending units. Could oil, water, coolant, etc. Have it looked at by a professional...a lot of places are doing free check ups with purchase of oil change, brake job, etc.

Good luck!!

Check Gauges or Check engine? If check gauges one of the gauges is showing a bad reading, examples are low fuel, high temperature, low oil pressure etc. Look at the gauges when the light comes on to figure it out. Check engine you'll need to have the codes scanned.

The only time I have seen that light come on is when the oil pressure drops down to low. If you are driving down a a road with a lot of hills or turns and your oil level is low in your jeep then the oil splash's around in the oil pan causing your oil pressure to drop off and turn that light on.

check all your fluid levels and fix you coolant (water) leak, this could be as simple, as replacing your radiator cap.

That could be it. Or it could be oil level, gas level or battery level. Check your gages on your dash. I don't have a Jeep but this is according to my Pontiac.