Help Interpreting Accuplacer Student Report-University Placement Test?

My son had to take a reading placement test (Accuplacer), and his score report looks like this: Score: 88.7 Percentile: 64 SEM: 8.27 I've figured out that the 88.7 is a raw score extrapolated from the test he took vs. an assumption of him taking a similar test of 120 questions. I've also figured... show more My son had to take a reading placement test (Accuplacer), and his score report looks like this:
Score: 88.7
Percentile: 64
SEM: 8.27

I've figured out that the 88.7 is a raw score extrapolated from the test he took vs. an assumption of him taking a similar test of 120 questions.

I've also figured out that the 64 percentile means that he scored better than 64% of students who've taken this test.

My question is the SEM (Standard Error of Measure) -- What the heck does it mean? Is an 8.27 good? Horrible? Middle of the road? Will he need to take the test again before beginning his Freshman year of college? I don't want to pay for remedial reading classes. My son is really smart, he just doesn't do well on tests. He definately knows how to read and understand sentences. Help!