New Computer, Graphics Card issues while playing Games. (WoW)?

I purchased a new computer yesturday, my wife decided she wants to play WoW as well, so we needed a second computer so we could play together.

Here are the Computer Specs:

Intel P4 3.2 GHZ

1G RAM

160 GB HDD

ATI Radeon 200 Series Video Card (256MB)

I am able to load WoW, login to the game, and play for roughly 30 min to an hour before things start getting wierd/wonky.

Four different things have happened.

1: First time something odd happened, I was playing for about 45 min in full screen mode when the screen went yellowish and pixelated/staticy, I had to reboot the computer to get it to go away.

2: I turned off my screen saver, just to make sure that was not the issue (had a problem with screensavers and programs in Full screen mode in the past) then played for another 30 min or so, and the computer reboots itself.

I get an error report:

Windows has recovered from a serious error, please send in an error report which contains:

C:\DOCUME~1\HP_ADM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb372.dir00\Mini072406-01.dmp

C:\DOCUME~1\HP_ADM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb372.dir00\sysdata.xml

BCCCode: 10000050

BCP1: B20F4D3D

BCP2: 00000001

BCP3: BFB73C20

BCP: 00000000

OSVer: 5_1_2600

SP: 2_0

Product: 256_1

Error type : Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Solution available? : No (see Next steps)

What does this error mean? : Windows has encountered an error from which it cannot recover and needs to restart

Cause : Unknown device driver

Computer symptoms : A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

Additional steps for you to take : Important: Please continue to send error reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

3: I switched to windowed mode ( which I prefer anyhow) and played for about an hour, then my monitor turns 'off' into self test mode like it isnt connected to a graphics card, and I have to reboot.

4: The fourth and final time I was in windowed mode and playing for roughly 30 min, and the screen blinks the yellowish wonky color, and then a window that says:

[quote]VPU Recover has reset your graphics acceletator as it was no longer responding to graphics driver commands.

Please Tell ATI Technologies about this.[/quote]

Then the game goes back to normal, and I can play again...

So I am confused, is this a graphics card issue, a 'lemon' computer issue, a WoW issue or ???

I have had NO other problems with this PC as of yet, only when I am playing WoW...

Please help, I only have 15 days to return this PC if something is wrong with it.

Favorite Answer

like someone pointed out above...your video processor is most likely overheating (if it also occurs in any other games or benchmarks [3dmark03]). since its an IGP (integrated graphics processor meaning its stuck on your motherboard and it really isn't a "video card"), there is no solution to this except to get a new independant video card (they range from about $100-$600 for something playable thru best-of-the-best). you most likely have a pci-express x16 slot so pick a card for this slot

if you insert an independant video card and the problem still occurs, i would check the power supply because it might be a low quality one that the manufactor tried to get away with. if that is the case, replace your power supply (if at all possible). they start at about $50 for a decent one to $500 for a monster one.

I had pretty much this same problem recently with Compaq's sr1800nx PC. Ati's integrated graphics (Radeon 200) overheats big time while playing any demanding game. Once it starts to cause errors and shutdown, it's time to call the manufacturer and set up a warranty service. Mine had a motherboard failure from overheating while playing Civilization 3, which they dubbed as a "color purity" error. They replaced my motherboard and hard drive, but gave no warning that it would happen again. It happened again, and I'm sending it in to be serviced. I don't know why, but it burns out any video card that's installed in it, too. The only thing that I can think of is that the supplied 300watt power supply isn't putting out enough power for mine, and maybe yours isn't either. But you should definitely have yours checked out by a pro.

I wouldn't plan on much coming from Blizzard's end. Everything they say for their tech support is, "please delete your addons folder," even if you don't use addons, and then they shuffle right along to repeat it to the next person. Rubbish.

If WoW is the only game that's giving you trouble, you may want to try updating your video card drivers on ATi's web site. If you have updated your drivers, you may want to try omega drivers. Some people swear by them, some people don't notice any difference. The drivers fixed an issue I was having with a game a couple years back, so it's worth a shot. http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Now if WoW is the only game you're actually playing, then you may want to download and run PCmark/Aquamark to see if you get the problems there. If you get them there or if you don't want to bother benchmarking, return it since you only have 15 days. Without another game/benchmark to test with, it could be anyone's guess whether it's the vcard, motherboard, etc.

I play WOW and had a similar problem. It all kept pointing at the video card like yours then it would point to other error messages but when the whole thing resolved it was bad ram memory. Wow is a very intensive game for hardware and as you fill up the memory it would play fine till you got to the bad ram address then it would fail. I bought new ram and it worked fine. One way you can tell if you have 2 sticks of ram is to take one out. I know the game won't run very good but it shouldn't crash. Take out one, then the other and if it runs well with one of them then you need to replace the bad one.

Well if it's only happening in WoW then it's probably related to that game and not the computer. I can't count how many graphic related issues I've had with that game. Your best bet would be to ask the question on their tech support forum in hopes that they'll give you a solution. http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/board.aspx?fn=wo...

if its an hp you need to update the driver but hp wont let you install the newest one that works go to atis website or the video could be over heaTING ati 200 is on board shared i think

• Paul G

hey you got the grace period to work the bugs out fre of money so tell them!!! hey it's free!!