Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

how long after your braces come off do you have to wear a retainer?

I got a consultation today and I am suppost to have braces for 1 and half years. do I have to wear the retainer while I have braces? and is it possible to wear it just at night? thanks!

Favorite Answer

I HAD BRACES AND I DIDN'T HAVE TO WEAR A RETAINER DURING OR AFTER.

I GUESS IT DEPENDS ON YOU DENTAL PROBLEM

Hi I'm a dental assistant! You don't have to wear a retainer until after your braces come off, The purpose is to maintain or retain where the teeth have move too! You should really call your orthodontist and follow his/her recommendations on when to wear it, usually you wear all the time for awhile and then you can just wear it at night! There are retainers that are actually just cemented on the teeth (on the tongue side) and you can't take them out, which is pretty comfy! I had braces at 13 and I still have a retainer(that is glued in) and I'm 28, those are usually recommended to have your whole life! The reason for that is you teeth will shift throughout your life time! If you don't follow what your orthodontist recommends you may end up with braces again, that a lot of $$ and time! Good luck and keep flossing

No you don't wear a retainer while wearing the braces. A retainer is just what its called. It is to retain the teeth in the new position after the braces come off. You will probably have to wear the retainer at all times except for eating, drinking, and brushing your teeth. I have my 2ND set of braces and I am having them put a permanent retainer on the backs of my front teeth so my teeth will stay straight and I don't have to do this again. When my braces came off the first time, my teeth shifted so much in the 2 weeks that it took to make my retainers made, that when they did come in, I couldn't wear them, so now the 2ND set of braces.

Wow, The best thing I had done for myself was my braces, But after the braces come off, you need to wear the retainer full time for about a year, then about 8-10 hour daily forever...if you want straight teeth....I didn't wear them like that and had to have braces on again 6 years later (my choice) now I wear my retainers at night...mostly about 5 nights a week, so far so straight! Good Luck!

Source(s): myself....

The retainer is the device you wear after the braces have been removed to keep the teeth in the same arrangement as they were once they had been fully corrected by the braces. This is necessary because teeth tend to move and shift with age.

Most dentists will recomment that you wear the retainer 24/7 for the first one to two years, and then at night forever. This is becasue some shifting will still occur many years later if you don't continue to wear the retainer.

Don't worry, retainers aren't that bad. I've been wearing mine for three years already and my teeth still look nice and straight.

Anna :)

I had braces back in the early 70s. Age 14 approx.

I wore the retainer for about 2 years only.

My teeth are just fine at age 57.

But I had 4 teeth removed to make room. Does that make a difference?

I never heard that you need to wear it for life until my daughter told me a few weeks ago.

How long has this been going on?

What happened to other people like me that threw it away after 2 years and have gone 4 decades without?

Why am I OK with only 2 years? Is my case different?

Were others of my age having problems without lifetime wearing?

I'd like to see some photos of people who only went 2 years and are ow my age.

I never heard of this at all until now.

• chelle

I had braces for 3 years, and because I had an overbite I had to wear a retainer while I had the braces, all of the time, to prevent myself from biting on my bottom braces. Generally, however, I don't think this is the case. You have to wear it all day and night for like, 2 years I think after your braces come off, and then just at night is fine. Your orthodontist will give you specific instructions when the time comes.

I have never heard of anyone weraing a retainer while they had braces. I didn't. But the most common retainer usage I have heard was 5 years for every year you had braces. At first you should wear it all day, but after about a year you only have to wear it at night. This changes from person to person, so for you it could be different.

• Smitty

You wear your retainer as long as you want your teeth to stay straight.

I got my braces off when I was in 7th grade... I am 22 now and I am still wearing my retainer. My teeth are still perfect :)

NO! Wear it until your dentist tells you to take it out. I would only wear mine at night because I didn't want anyone to see me wear a retainer and my teeth shifted and I could no longer wear my retainer. My mom could not afford to pay for extra services because I messed up, so one of my teeth in the front started to twist to the side and it's twisted to this very day. I wish I had someone tell me this when I was wearing mine. Please keep it in as long as your dentist tells you to or you'll be sorry.

Yes, mostly you just wear your retainer at night, but you could also get one "glued" to the inside of your mouth. Either way, you have to wear them pretty much forever.