Ryan H asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

Do you think depressing music makes you depressed?

Personally I think it does. Some people think that it helps with depression, but I really think it makes things worse. Bands like NIN and Korn just make life seem horrible (don't get me wrong I still like their music). Lately I've been listening to more upbeat stuff to make me stay happy. What do you think? Does depressing music make you depressed?

Best Answer

It really is personal. If I were in a foul mood, hearing chipper tripe just makes things worse. It makes me feel more separated from the rest of the world. Depressing music gives me some solace, the idea that someone else is going through what you are going through.

• Manda

I don't think it's fair to say that one type of music is going to have the same effect on a particular individual as another person. We interpret things differently. Of course feeling depressed all the time and listening to depressing music all the time will only add to the negative feelings. It certainly won't make things better, but I do understand where one could find comfort in a sad song. For some people, listening to a sad song might just bring them completely down. But for another, it could provide a sense of relief and comfort to know someone else out there has experienced these thoughts and emotions.

See personally, if I'm in a relaxed, laidback state, I can hear somber music without it making me sad. If I'm sad, I definitely don't want to hear upbeat music. I want something on the sad side that I can relate to at the moment. When I'm upbeat, that's when I want to hear upbeat music.

Studies have shown that when you listen to music that is depressing, you too will feel a little depressed. If you listen to dance or more upbeat music, you will feel more energetic and happy. Classical music is good for relaxation. The one thing we have to keep in mind is that what is depressing for one person may not be for another.

Actually going by the 2 bands you mentioned they get me out of the depressed mood and make me want to go out and do something about what is making me depressed instead of dwelling on it.

It depends on the nature of the music agressive depressing music makes me want to act. Mellow, slow depressing music such as sad love songs make me dwell on it and think about where it all went wrong until i eventually find meaning and then i'm back in my normal mood.

So yes it helps by acting as a way of transition. Its not meant to put u down and keep you down. Its just a way of coming to terms with it.

This is where people get the purpose wrong.

I also think the same. But things get really worse when you listen all the time such kind of music and more worse when you let it conquer you entirely. Music is a great power. Do not let it manipulate you!

of course coz we hear the music.whatever music u hear u will be carried of the melody and the meaning of the music.love song make u fall in love is the same.

if im depressed and i listen to depressing music i get more depressed and then i become suicidal and i have a nervous breakdown and then i cry myself to sleep at night. so to answer your question.. yes.

nope, it doesn't. Sometimes happy music just makes you feel alone and more upset if you are sad. Punk music is esp. helpful. :)

Definitely! Change your playlist or the station you're listening to.

did you know country music has the biggest suicide followers in the world