Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What breeds of dogs look like a red fox?

My friend and I were driving late at night in a rural but populated area, and we saw an animal that we weren't sure if it was a dog or a fox.So we were wondering, if it was a dog, what breed could it possibly be?Btw, both grey and red foxes are native to our area.

It just seem a bit tall for a fox, and we got a very good look at it,that's why we were wondering.It definately wasn't a coyote,though.Even though I know coyotes can be found in New England, I'd know a coyote if I saw one.I'm a native southwesterner and have seen many a coyote in my time! lol.

Favorite Answer

Was most likely a fox. No domestic dog breeds look like red fox.

Foxes and coyotes will live in populated area, as long as there is a place for them to den & food around.

• Lynn

I've seen lots of dogs that look like foxes. They normally are a mutt. If you mixed a basenji with a hair breed you could definitely get a fox look a like. Terrier mixes could pul it off too.

Foxes are pretty unmistakeable though, if you have seen one before and have doubts about this one, then I would say it was probably a dog. Foxes are so small, and their tails are sooo big- they have a cat quality in the way they move. We have a family of them that live behind our house. I couldn't imagine mistaking them for a dog.

I cant speculate as to whether it was a dog or fox, but since you asked which dog looks like a fox I know a dog that was a sheltie/dachsund cross. She moved fast, we joke about her being a little fox. Im sure there are others who look like foxes

The dog I speak of is the color of a red fox, the size of a Shetland pony, and the face of a wolf, big tail like a wolf more like a fox. Very long hair 50 lbs or more

Maybe the Japanese Sheba Inu? Dont know if it is correctly spelled in English. They have the same red and white color as a fox (but then again, is the red fox the same as the normal fox I know), even their heads are almost in a same shape.

My friend has a pair of shiba inu(japanese little dog). The female one really looks like a fox.

• insane

the only breed of dog that i can think of is a Pomeranian. that is provided it was a quick glance and it just had a haircut, otherwise it was a fox.

I don't know what you saw, but Finnish Spitz's look very fox-like. Check the link.

None. Fox are often in urban areas,let alone suburban & rural.