anna47
anna47 asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

How long does it take for dissolvable stitches to dissolve after a dental surgery?

are they better than normal stitches?

how do I know when they dissolve?

I can't really open my mouth to see anything b/c of the surgery...

Favorite Answer

I'm a dentist.

3-0 chromic gut or 4-0 chromic gut is likely what was placed in your mouth. It's what I use, and it's what I've always seen used.

It typically takes at minimum one week for the suture to dissolve, i.e. be resorbed by the body. If the suture knot was tied improperly or if the suture was placed in the floor of your mouth where it would be submerged in saliva, you'll likely find that suture has come undone and is now missing (you've swallowed it).

One week is just a minimum. Sometimes I see the suture there for two weeks even, but rarely.

There are other materials used in the mouth, however. Sometimes I will use Vicryl, which is intended to last longer. These I will typically see for two weeks, minimum.

Dissolvable Stitches

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

are they better than normal stitches?

Source(s): long dissolvable stitches dissolve dental surgery: https://shortly.im/W5Or5

After having two teeth pulled, my stitches came out in 3-4 days. The first one came out on its own, and I must have swallowed the rest of it. I m hoping that was long enough to do the trick, but so far, so good. I make sure to rinse with salt water at least 5 times a day.

Resorbable sutures are not necessarily better than non resorbable ones. The main purpose of sutures is to approximate the tissue ends hence allowing them to heal. That is, the body does the healing, the sutures just allows them to do that.

However non resorbably sutures such as black silk can be worse in that the way they are made may potentially introduce bacteria into the wound (provided that the patient is not doing his/her job of cleaning the wound area)

Different type of suture is suited for different situations so resorbable sutures aren't necessarily better.

Dissolving times for

Vicryl (synthetic resorbably sutures), takes about 21 days to fully dissolve.

Cat-Gut (plain or chromic), takes significantly shorter time at 1 week.

Source(s): Dentist
  • Amy

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ax2Km

Normally the stitches will come out in 4-7 days. A day or 2 either way is no problem. It sounds like you are doing great.

Yes. I had 8 teeth pulled at the same time and they dissolve at their own pace. Some of mine dissolved in a week, others took 4 days. They are MUCH better than regular stitches in my opinion. Hope this helped out! :-)

I seem to have gotten a whipstitch closing my gums (two teeth removed). It has been 17 days! I ve been waiting to get my partial too damn long! The stitches have come loose for the most part, but I can t pull them out, because it seems it is still being held by one knot. I m tempted to get the tweezers and pull them completely off!

much better then normal..

take about 2 weeks to fully dissolve

Reverse Your Tooth Decay - http://DentalBook.uzaev.com/?ToeW