Tracie G asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

How long do geese live?

Favorite Answer

Yes, geese can live for 20-30 years. In the wild, they usually live for 10-15 years at maximum due to all sorts of problems... Pet geese, kept in houses in diapers (www.thegoosesmother.com), can live to be 50 years old. Geese raised from eggs are affectionate and loyal, smart companions. They feel part of the family, no matter what age you get them at, and are great guard dogs! I'd also like to point out that all of my geese fall in love with my dogs. They sleep with them, groom them and even try to mate with them! They imprint on them. Ducks also coexist with dogs very well, especially ducks and geese kept in houses.

Source(s): I am an avian expert.

How Long Do Geese Live

• PG

Many geese can live to be 20-25 years old. If you get a goose, be prepared to have it around for quite a while! Actually, be prepared to have a couple of them around for quite a while, as geese by nature hang around in groups and need companionship. If you don't want a breeding pair, it's a good idea to get a couple of females, as males may fight. We just happened to get lucky and the two males we had got along very well.

Dogs and geese are not a good combination. geese are kept separate from our dogs. They are protected from coyotes as well, but none of the other predators in the area are likely to view them as suitable prey. They're too large for a domestic cat or any of the local birds of prey to mess with, though I'm sure a bobcat could take one if there were any in our area.

Male geese may fight with each other, though they seem more apt to get along if they've been raised together. I know several people who keep geese and ducks together and have no problems.

A few geese are reasonably "cuddly"; Desdemona, for instance, liked to be petted and got into my lap on more than one occasion. Others, like Lysander, are civil but do not want to be touched. Still others are responsible for giving geese a reputation for being nasty and aggressive.

Geese live a long time in animal years and they mate for life.

my book says if well fed and taken care of they can live to be up to 40 years old.

Source(s): Barnyard in your Backyard
  • Guzzy

a couple of years