Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

What is the easiest way to cut my guinea pigs toenails? One of them is black. Help!!?

Guinea Pigs

One of them has black toe nails, easiest way to clip/cut nails

Favorite Answer

First of all, she meant that the TOE NAIL is black, not the guinea pig... geez... second of all, go to this site, and it shows you exactly where to cut... if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, make an appt. with the vet.

they have special toe nail clippers for guinea pigs...you can probably get them at a petco or petsmart and occupy the guinea pigs mouth with a treat, like a carrot or some lettace. you just have to be careful to not cut too much of the nail off because it could hurt them and make them bleed. i assume you're telling us that one of the nails is black because you're afraid you can't see where to cut up to?(clear nails you can see a little red line coming from the toe (the quick), and you should not cut too close to there otherwise bleeding can occur.) if the black nail is on the same guinea pig as the white ones, i would cut about the same amount as i did on the previous nails, maybe a little less just to be on the safe side. even if the quick is cut, no need to panic, you can put a bit of flour on the nail that helps stop the bleeding and they even sell special powder for quick bleeding at the pet stores. goodluck!!

Source(s): i've bred and owned many many guinea pigs

Use a infant nail clipper, and after each and each clip, supply your guinea pig a take care of. Clip yet another, get a take care of. That way, it shows your guinea pig that she would be rewarded for figuring out to purchase her toenails clipped. it is likewise significant that they are clipped, so make valuable that in case you do not do it, have it administered via a vet. good success, puppy Rodent expert

I trim my guinea pig's nails, but would not suggest it for others to do. Spend the $10.00 and have your vet do it. If you don't know what you're doing, you could cause a bloody injury, lose the trust of your pet or even cause a heart attack.

Source(s): I own one, and was a vet assistant for 4 years.

Guinea pigs have multi colored toes-there is nothing wrong with it. I have never heard of anyone cutting toes on these animals. You might not want to do that.

Even if your guinea-pig is black, you still must cut its toe-nails!

Use an emery board or finger nail file that way you don't run the risk of cutting the nail too short.

• .

when i do it .. i hold my guinea pig and feed her lettuce while my mom uses these nail clippers ........ you just clip the ends .. DONT CUT TOO MUCH OFF!! .... or if you want you can ask ppl in petco..

Let your brother, sister, mom, dad, friend or someone else do it w clippers...I hope ur not racist!

Source(s): RACISM SUCKS