does he have to be like him?

my boyfriend's father is verbally abusive towards his mother. lately, my boyfriend has been very nasty and mean towards me. he is probably turning out to be like his father, so is there anything i can do to stop this? i love him and don't want to end up like that.

Favorite Answer

Unfortunately, this is the main role model in his life, and your boyfriend sounds like he may be patterning after him. I would talk to him about how it makes you feel when he is nasty and mean, and would make sure he knows that you will not tolerate that and if it continues you will be out of there! There is no excuse for abuse...and there is no reason you should have to tolerate it.

I know you say you love him, but I think you need to really explore what true love is all about. There should be a mutual respect between the two of you for one thing...and it seems like it is only one-sided here.

Just my two cents...I hope you find someone who will treat you with the respect you deserve.

my bf is the same freaking way! he is so much like his dad and I hate it because I do not want to end up like his mom. I think u should bring it up and tell him that u notice his actions and maybe he'll see it or not..good luck..