h2o asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

What does it mean by........?

racing, disjointed thoughts?

Favorite Answer

Racing thoughts would mean that you mind is jumping from one thought to the next at lightning speed. Disjointed means your thoughts are not related but all over the place. Therefore your mind is acting like a lightning bolt that is hitting random objects with no thought as to relationship or pattern.

Hmmm. It means thoughts are out of control somewhat. I know someone who has that. He was diagnosed as having Aspbergers syndrome which is a form of autism. He talks a lot about stuff that doesn't relate to reality or that is ancient history. This can be extremely frustrating and irritating to others. Disjointed means one thought ot the next are unrelated. This type of thing can be helped with medication. Maybe part of schizophrenia because the aforementioned individual has schizo affective disorder. Pardon the spelling on these terms-I am working from memory.

• I don't really understand either, but i think it means multiple random thoughts just going on and on in your head, because the disjointed thoughts mean that they're not connected , and the racing is like a continuous list . So i guess.....a continuous list of random disconnected thoughts .

I've worked in psychology

Racing thoughts are when you have too much info swimming around up there. You can't seema stay on subject before something else comes up. You may also have trouble communicating everything you are thinking, because it is so jumbled together.

disjointed is when nothing comes together, it's kind of the same as racing, Like you want to finish saying something or thinking it, but your mind brings you to the next subject.

For example,

My dog is so cute, she was walking down the street where my friend lives, My friend has a really nice house by the way, it has a tile roof. Tile roofs were very popular in Mexico, I know that because my grandma lives in Mexico

having racing thoughts is sometimes a symptom of bipolar disorder or major depressive disorder with racing thoughts. it is kind of like the brain starts thinking by itself. the thoughts may or may not be worrisome and ultimately go nowhere and to no conclusion. they dont really fit together, either.

Not puting your thoughts in order before jumping into stupid mistake.

A.D.D.