Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Purplecita asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

What do you do for a tooth that can NOT be moved with braces?

I am wearing braces on all of my teeth except for one. That tooth is considerably higher than the rest. It is attached to the bone and can't be moved and aligned by braces. It can definitely not be moved with the brakcets. I believe that there is an oral surgery that I can have done that will bring my tooth down to be aligned. What is the name of that surgery? Is it in and out? Do they put you to sleep? Is it painful? Thanks!


I have talked to my orthodontist. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the procedure.. hence my question on Yahoo. I have a consultation set with an oral surgeon. However, I wanted to know if anyone here knew about this type of surgery so I could get some preliminary info before we meet in late August.

2 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    It's technically called dentoalveolar surgery, but that is the general term for all surgery involving the teeth. Can you not talk to your orthodontist or dentist about this? I've had jaw surgery done and the whole thing was basically set up by my orthodontist. He or she should be able to at least point you in the right direction. If not, look in your yellow pages for an oral surgeon and give them a call. You can ask them what the options are for moving an impacted tooth for orthodontic reasons. Depending on where you live or how difficult the surgery is, you may have to contact the Oral and Maxillofacial surgery dept at your local hospital.

  • Mary G
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    I'm certain your orthodontist has a plan for this tooth... most likely it will be removed...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.