Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

how old was your child when they walked?

My daugther is 13 months and still not walking. the Dr. said to be grateful for this time before she does, but i just wanted to know when your child started to walk. she has taken random 1 and 2 steps but not much. she is reallly tall for her age and that is part of her problem. thanks!

Favorite Answer

My son was almost 2 when he started walking. Don't worry.

Kids brains are like a PC - although you think it may be doing lots at once, it really can only do one thing well at a time. If your kids are really strong in fine motor skills, their gross motor skill development will slow down. Likewise, if your kids have strong gross motor skills, it's likely that their fine motor skill development will slow down.

My son was 13 months when he started walking, but 14 1/2 months before he was walking well.

My oldest son was 9 months old when he started walking. My daughter was a year old. My youngest son did not even try to walk till he was around 13 months old. After spending sometime with a cousin that was the same age and walking he decided that he wanted to walk too. All kids are different.

It's normal for a child to be anywhere from 9-15 months when they start walking. I'll bet she is doing one of two things: 1. focusing on other areas of development, like language for example, or 2. she is getting around very quickly by crawling and sees little need so far to walk.

Source(s): classes in college, experience with children - my own and at work

My daughter was 13 1/2 mth when she started walking. I didn't push or either. I let her go at her own pace to what she wanted to do. I didnt start standing her on her tiny little legs until she started to stand in my lap at about 7 months. Their knees are so fragile and can't handle weight. When her body and legs are ready and can handle the weight she will start walking. 2 weeks after mine started walking she was/is pushing chairs to the counter and climbing everywhere!!! My daughter was also never on the charts for her height also 100% + in that category.

my son started walking at 10 months... your doctor is correct, once they start walking they are all over the place, be grateful while you can.. they get sooo much more curious when they can walk around, they gain such an independence. get your rest now because she'll be walking soon and will be in everything and you'll be chasing her down. Don't worry though the average baby walks between 12-14 months so she isn't behind schedule, and every baby is different. she'll walk when she is ready. once they start taking random steps, it is no time before they are walking around and on the go! get ready! =)

Like with everything children do things when they are ready, as I'm sure you've heard from your Dr. You also have to remember all children are different. With my 4 : my oldest was 15 months, my second was 13 months, my third was 11months, and my youngest hasn't started walking yet....she's 9 months, but she's working really hard on it.

My daughter is 13mo also and hasnt started to walk. She just started to take a step or two but that is it. She doesnt seem to interested. Her Dr says it normal and it is. Your little one will walk when she is good and ready too! My daughter is tall also in the 75%tile. Try not too worry to much she maybe getting frustrated because your getting that way mine picks up on that from me from time to time.

Source(s): MOM

My mom said I started walking at 10 months. My brother didn't start walking to until about 14 months or so. Some babies are just different.

I have three kids all of them walked before 11 months old. The earliest one was 9 months when he took off.

13 months for my son & 17 months for his twin sister

They are preemies and in the top 75% in height.

My daughter was just stubborn. She would pull up her feet and not even let them touch the floor. However, we bought her Mooshu shoes that squeek when you walk. The very next day she started walking! (The squeekers are removable - a VERY important note.)