Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How can I leave my child alone without him crying?

My son is 19 months old. I've been a full time mom for about 2 months and my husband is deployed. About 2 weeks ago, I started taking my son to the gym with me.

There are two rooms separated by a window partition so that parents can work out and watch their children play at the same time. My problem is that when I leave him in the room he stands at the window, crying and staring at me the entire time I am working out which is about 1 1/2 hrs. I thought I would keep trying and he would get over the crying but he hasn't and its been 2 weeks. I feel like I should just give up on the gym but that doesn't seem like it would solve the underlying problem. I feel like I am being a bad mother and I'm sure other parents are thinking the same. Any advice would be appreciated.

• dymond
    Favorite Answer

He is scared.Start with short peiods away,just a few minuets.When he is sure you are always coming back,he will settle down.It is normal and does take a little time.You will get there mom, hang in there.

• Nik

Hmmm, I wonder if a part of the reason he is crying the whole time is because he IS SEEING you. YOu know, he might be wondering in his cute little head why mommy is right there but your ignoring him. Are you living away from all of your family? Is there maybe another military wife that has a young child that the 2 of you could take turns watching each others toddlers while the other goes to the gym ( or whatever she may want to do for a couple hrs)? I know it can be hard with your husband so far away, especially if your living away from your hometown. Good luck.

When you drop off your son have something that is he's favorite. Get there a little Early sit in the room with him and let him get distracted with he's favorite item. If he startes to cry when your walking out go to where he can't see you for a min. He's only crying because he can see you. If that don't work then take him a friend so he knows somebody and they can play.. Kids help kids.

My daughter is also 19 months and is going through the same thing. I think it's common at this age. A day care worker friend told me that it usually lasts about 3-4 weeks. I'm hoping that's true - for me and for you.

make valuable that she is particularly exhausted and very drained earlier putting her to mattress, the ideal way for that's to bathe her in a valuable heat bath, gown her in some comfortable heat pajamas, and study her a tale this might often placed a infant to sleep. She is nineteen months previous and dealing with separation stress in spite of the incontrovertible fact that it would pass rapidly.

Stay in the room with him for a little while so that he can adjust to the caregiver and get comfortable. Get him engaged in an activity before you leave.

To leave your baby alone, he/she needs to have fun. KIDDICARE GARDEN FRIENDS PLAYGYM is a great help for your baby not only for entertainment but for the development of her/his motor skills and hand-eye coordination as well.

he may not be ready to be w/o mom. Read about baby attachment theory. It will let you understand it more and also you will know how to deal w/it

He'll be alright, he's just developing his lung capacity...

Kind of like child-aerobics!

Maybe someday, he'll be a great opera singer...

distraction works.