Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How much watts?

I bought a box with two car speakers.

On the box, there is written "300W".

Are these 300 watts for the both speakers combined, or for each speaker?

Favorite Answer

Most likely it's only 150 watts RMS though.

75 watts RMS X 2, continuous power

You could remove one of the speakers and look on the magnet. It should say what MAX or RMS watts are for that speaker. Then you would know what the rating is for each.

If it says ### MAX, divide that number in half for RMS (it's close enough, there is a formula but it's quite lengthy).

When shopping for an amp match the RMS value per channel to the box for one of the speakers as well as the impedance (ohms) per channel.

Example: If it is 75 watts RMS @ 4 ohms for one speaker, you need a 75 watt RMS @ 4 ohm X 2 amp (or 150 watt RMS TOTAL).

______________

Ummm...metallman56

How does 150 watts RMS each(X 2) = 300 MAX?!?!?

RMS does NOT equal MAX, EVER!!!!

I think you mean 300 watts RMS.

Since most "prefabs" want to impress you, they won't be labled with RMS, they will be marked with MAX total. Because 300 sounds more impressive than 75 or 150.

So with this information, I would say I was correct after all.

______________________

I think darkkhawkk1 forgot to finish his reply.

OK, like everyone else says prefabs like to impress you, so the 300 would be the peak for both speakers, making it 150 peak per speaker, and approximately 75 watts rms per speaker. When looking for an amp match this RMS rating, My recommendation look for a mono amp that runs 150 watts rms @ 2 ohms and wire the speakers up in parallel, if they are 4 ohms each.

Parallel is connecting the positives (+) of both speakers to the positive of the speaker out on the amp and doing the same with the negatives (-).

OK, like everyone else says prefabs like to impress you, so the 300 would be the peak for both speakers, making it 150 peak per speaker, and approximately 75 watts rms per speaker. When looking for an amp match this RMS rating, My recommendation look for a mono amp that runs 150 watts rms @ 2 ohms.

• JimL

the speakers are 150 watts rms each. not 75, not 300, but 150 each. for a total of 300 max.

300

Im almost more than sure they are combined wattage between both of them. It is probably 300 watts max, which translates to to 150 watts max each sub, 75 watts RMS.

This means that they are rated for 300 Watts each at peak/max. Usually, peak means they won't handle it for a long period.

300 each

its most likely combined

• Tom B

combined