How do you pronounce Naomi? I've heard it as Nay-O-Me. NA-O-me, and nye-o-me.?

We just named our baby girl Naomi. Our first baby. I have always loved the name but have always known it as Nye-O-Me. However, I'm finding to our dismay that people have various pronounciations for it. I have to constantly correct them as to how we want it said. However, i've almost given up. I think people will call her whatever. It will be up to her when she gets older to correct them. I'm just feeling stupid that i didn't think of this before. I really don't like Nay-O-Me because already my family already was calling her Nay. I don't like it. I just like the sound of Nye-o-Me.

Favorite Answer

my co-worker is named Naomi is we say it like Nay-o-me, i suggest you go back and change the spelling so that it reads how you want people to pronounce it for example spell it Nyomi, that would be better than Naomi anyway.

My daughter is also named Naomi, but we pronounce it Nomi (deliberately).

In Hebrew, there are two possible pronunciations (and since it's a Hebrew name, they're the originals) - Nah-omi or No-omi. In English it's generally pronounced as you said - Nye-O-Mi

Nye-o-me

• Jbeth

I have a cousin naomi and we pronounce it nay-o-me. na-o-me, I think, is the japanese pronunciation. you can pronounce it however you like, but if it's something that's uncommon to your region you're going to be spending a lot of time correcting people.

I have only heard it as Nay-O-me - with emphasis on the O. However, if an individual introduces herself to you with a different pronunciation, you will follow what she wants.

Nye-O-Me. I don't know any other pronunciation for it. Beautiful name for a precious new baby! Congrats!

I pronounce it Neye-O-mi

probably same as you. I don't like it pronounced Nay either. Sounds like a horse.

Nay-O-Me

either way, nye-o-me sounds better

• It can be either.